4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Throttle Body and Intake Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Silver01Stang

Default Throttle Body and Intake Plenum

I have a 2001 GT with a K&N induction system. If I upgrade to a better inlet plenum and a 70mm throttle body will the old inlet hose fit? Where do you go to buy a bigger hose piece if it doesn't fit?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle Body and Intake Plenum

Yes, all CIA's are built to fit both 70mm and 75mm throttle bodies. Don't forget, you are talking millimeters, not inches. The entire intake system performs the best when to change over to a new CIA, throttle body and plenum all at the same time. They are essentially made to work together. I had a new throttle body on my car for about a month or less before I popped for the Accufab plenum and the two together made the throttle body suddenly come alive! At the very least install a new throttle body and plenum and remove your air silencer (poor man's CIA).

The Accufab plenum is a quality part with a chrome-like finish that looks dynomite under the hood and specs out the highest in flow tests. I went with the Ford Racing 70mm throttle body for two reasons: 1) Accufab says the 70mm works best with their plenum unless you are making a host of other mods (almost no change in performance with the 75mm they tested over the 70mm), and 2) the Ford Racing throttle body, unlike any other sold on the market, comes with all new sensors already attached for immediate install. Why install a new TB and have to transfer your "old" sensors over to the aftermarket body? I also added a new sensor to the plenum when I made the install as the sensor on the plenum is a known cause of rough idle and acceleration. Might as well start out completely fresh, right? Not necessary, of course, if you have an extremely low mileage Mustang. Anyway, alll parts you choose not to replace during your install of new air induction parts will marry up perfectly to your newer system. Not to worry, it only took me about 30 to 40 minutes to change the whole system over with new sensors and all. Good luck!

TECH TIP: Only use 1/4" drive rachets on your throttle body and plenum! The are attached to each other and to the manifold with small, brass-looking bolts and thread through aluminum parts. Over torquing can cause distortion, and/or cracking and may result in rough idling. Only one part at the far end from the TB opening needs a 3/8" drive as it is pretty much heat sealed into position from use. Use penetrating oil such as WD-40 on this part first. All else is a piece of cake.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Silver01Stang

Thanks for the information. I was kind of overthinking it a bit. I do have the K&N FIPK so this should be a nice addition. I order the setup just as you recommended and looking forward to getting it on. I saw the comparison you were talking about on the Accufab website. Can't beat the numbers. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
CTXpitcher09
2nd Gear Member

Dean what sensors are u talking about are u talking about replacing with the accufab? does ithey come with the throttle body
Old 01-25-2006, 01:34 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

I searched on the Ford Racing throttle body and they all say that the stock sensors hook right up. Where did you buy the one that came with all new sensors?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

The stock sensor "connections" hook right up no sweat. The actual sensors are attached to the throttle body itself. You have to remove these from the stock throttle body and reinstall them on most, if not all, of the aftermarket throttle bodies except the Ford Racing unit. Ford gives you new sensors right on the throttle body when you purchase the Ford Racing 70mm unit. Look at any of the photos of the aftermarket TB's and you will see what I mean. As far as the sensor on the plenum, I didn't mention it by name because I temporarily went brain dead and couldn't remember the name of the sensor. I believe it is the IAC valve that definitely can frog up at times and is known to cause problems. I replaced it just because everything was apart anyway and my car had over 40,000 miles. Why not start with all fresh parts? I got the IAC from my local Ford dealer for around $90 or less. It took all of 2 or 3 extra minutes to install on the plenum.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:42 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the clarification Deannostang.

I was confused by the description in the Ford Racing TB's I saw as it sounded like the setup you described for the other brands.

I'm leaning towards a new plenum/TB instead of headers now and I'm pretty much sold on a setup like you describe - Accufab plenum and FR TB and some sort of CAI...
Old 01-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

If it's between shortie headers and a new air intake system, the air intake system (TB, PL, CAI) should net you more horsepower. It really smooths your engine out nicely. And, you can easily do all the labor yourself. Shortie headers can be a pain to install and cost around $200 or more to have installed on the outside. If you are real lucky, you might find someone for the install at $150. It's a freebee with the air intake and your Mustang will love it! One other thing I forgot to mention....always disconnect your battery when working on the engine for any reason. That will zero out your computer and allow it to readjust itself quicker to your mods. If you do not do this, your Mustang will more than likely idle and accelerate rough for at least one tankful or up to 500 miles until the computer can "find itself" again. Pretty much a standard procedure when working on computer-controlled vehicles.

The new throttle body should come very smooth and uniform on the inside OD. The plenum, however, may exhibit some rough spots along the seams of the casting on the inside. Before installing it, is a good idea to smooth out those rough spots the best way you can manage. It will not take too long and it will help the intake of air to flow that much more smoothly. This is not always necessary but be sure to check it out.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:26 AM
03TrplWht

I was about to order The accufab TB & PLenum. Then I read the Dyno specs from C&L Now I'm waiting for the C&L Mass, Pipem, Plenum, BBK TB and K&N setup to come int the mail. THe Granatelli just got here today. Gears will be in before summer. Bang 4 buck between Headers over Gears? Gears...
Old 01-26-2006, 04:29 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

If your getting a 70mm t/b and plenum, I would go with a new CAI and it will hook right up to the t/b. I would go with JLT, very good product.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body and Intake Plenum