4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Catback vs. mufflers?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:48 AM
KavanM

Default Catback vs. mufflers?

Ok, question... I've seen that one of the parts to an exhaust upgrade is the cat-back and/or mufflers. What's the difference between the two? Is there an advantage to one over the other?

I like the sound of the Flowmaster Delta 40s, but will I be able to just add those on to my car now (everything is stock on my '00 GT convertible)? Or do I need a cat-back thingy put on there first? Will just those mufflers (leaving the headers and mid-pipe stock) improve the sound? It seems like it from the member clips, but I was wondering if anyone else has a set-up (or did at some point) like this. Thanks for the help.

-Kavan
Old 02-09-2006, 12:50 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Catback vs. mufflers?

Flowmaster mufflers are just that, mufflers thats all they are. A full cat-back system included everything from the mid pipe to the polished tips out the back. Go for a cat-back my man.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:53 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

You can just do the mufflers.. they would just need to be welded in. And yes it will increase the sound over stuff.. But minimal. However, I dont think its worth it.

Save your money and get the full catback... So then when you want to upgrade the rest of your exhaust, you don't have to get a catback because you will already have one.

Catback = Back end of the exhaust system, comes with the pipes and mufflers.

Mufflers = mufflers.. No pipes. Stock mufflers need to be cut out and new mufflers need to be welded in.

Get the full catback, it is worth it, and you will save yourself a lot of money in the long run. Thats where I screwed up.. I had mufflers welded in, and I hated it. I wasted $400 dollars (mufflers + install)... and now Im going with my full exhaust and I wish I still had the 400 I wasted on mufflers. Its not worth it. Get the CATBACK.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:57 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KavanM

Ok, question... I've seen that one of the parts to an exhaust upgrade is the cat-back and/or mufflers. What's the difference between the two? Is there an advantage to one over the other?

I like the sound of the Flowmaster Delta 40s, but will I be able to just add those on to my car now (everything is stock on my '00 GT convertible)? Or do I need a cat-back thingy put on there first? Will just those mufflers (leaving the headers and mid-pipe stock) improve the sound? It seems like it from the member clips, but I was wondering if anyone else has a set-up (or did at some point) like this. Thanks for the help.
-Kavan

anyways click this link
Old 02-09-2006, 03:24 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

You can just do the mufflers.. they would just need to be welded in. And yes it will increase the sound over stuff.. But minimal. However, I dont think its worth it.

Save your money and get the full catback... So then when you want to upgrade the rest of your exhaust, you don't have to get a catback because you will already have one.

Catback = Back end of the exhaust system, comes with the pipes and mufflers.

Mufflers = mufflers.. No pipes. Stock mufflers need to be cut out and new mufflers need to be welded in.

Get the full catback, it is worth it, and you will save yourself a lot of money in the long run. Thats where I screwed up.. I had mufflers welded in, and I hated it. I wasted $400 dollars (mufflers + install)... and now Im going with my full exhaust and I wish I still had the 400 I wasted on mufflers. Its not worth it. Get the CATBACK.
All I have is mufflers welded in and I bought me an o/r H-pipe. And I plan on LT's sometime down the road. You dont have to have a catback to complete the rest of your exhaust.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:34 AM
1fast 99gt
4th Gear Member

its better though because its 2.5' pipe on most aftermarket catbacks.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:49 AM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

01sliver gt how u like ur set up i went with o/r h from mac and im running no mufflers right now and this things is so loud i like the drone though.
im planning on getting some mufflers but i dont no what to go with i want some loud loud ones
Old 02-18-2007, 05:01 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Getting a complete catback is really just for show. Its going to produce the same sound and same power... And you dont need to have an aftermarket catback to do the rest of it? I know plenty of people who will do LT and a midpipe and then the mufflers/catback...
Old 02-18-2007, 05:12 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Talk about bringing something back from the dead, LOL. This thread is a YEAR old there fellows.

Sleeping Stallion - I have the Mac o/r h-pipe and 1 chambered Flowmasters and I love the sound and there is alittle bit of a drone, but only if I turn o/d off can you really hear it. I love the sound and I have gotten alot of compliments by many people, including other Mustang drivers asking what setup I have because it sounds badass.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:46 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

I thought I had the MAC catback this whole time, but found out a couple weeks ago (after putting it on a lift and LOOKING) its actually 2 1/2 in mac mufflers and 2 1/2in tips.........still sounds pretty good, but once the lt's and midpipe go on, everything else will be 2 1/2in also....just go ahead and save for the catback, less to do later...