4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

The home-made MIL's work! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by joe04
Sorry I meant "Gray" as OP or "black" on Cliff's link?
The resistor always goes in series with the O2 sensor + output; if you have aftermarket with two white wires, one black and one gray, then the resistor goes in series with the black wire--the sensor + output--as shown on my site.

If you have the stock sensors then use this diagram:

Here is a chart of 4-wire O2 sensor wire colours--remember the resistor is always in series with the + signal wire, The capacitor shunts the sensor + and ground wires on the "harness" end of the connection:

Old 08-01-2013, 05:19 AM
joe04

Hi Cliff, thank you very much for your reply! The car is new to me so I'm not sure if the 02 sensors were changed by the previous owner but it has the gray/black and 2 white wires. It only had 69k and bone stock when I got it. I know for sure because I had to extend them to make them reach the new location on the BBK off road pipe I just installed.

I was confused bc the OP appears to have the same o2 sensor colors and he shows the resistor on the gray wire. On my 98 I tried your method and couldnt get the light to go off so I ended up buying a set of MIL eliminators from AM. But I always read that the DIY ones work for other users so I wanted to clarify before I tried it again. So was his method wrong?

Appreciate your help!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by joe04
Hi Cliff, thank you very much for your reply! The car is new to me so I'm not sure if the 02 sensors were changed by the previous owner but it has the gray/black and 2 white wires. It only had 69k and bone stock when I got it. I know for sure because I had to extend them to make them reach the new location on the BBK off road pipe I just installed.

I was confused bc the OP appears to have the same o2 sensor colors and he shows the resistor on the gray wire. On my 98 I tried your method and couldnt get the light to go off so I ended up buying a set of MIL eliminators from AM. But I always read that the DIY ones work for other users so I wanted to clarify before I tried it again. So was his method wrong?

Appreciate your help!
If the O2 sensor wires are two white/one gray/one black then they are aftermarket, most likely Bosch, devices--definitely not stock.

I have not known them to not work on a 4.6 2V unless not wired properly, or if the sensors are dead/dying. The MIL eliminators are simple electronic low pass filters that modify the signal from working sensors so as to trick the PCM into thinking the cats are there and working...