4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

short shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:57 PM
psykobrat
1st Gear Member

Default short shift

I have an 02 gt and I've been lookin for a nice short shifter. I see that everybody really compares mgw, pro50 and tri-ax... I was really interested in the mgw cause people seem to like those the most, as far as acurate shifts and nice supression... but as I was watching a video of the shift, it seems to not be a reduction at all. So I'm wonderin if anybody on here makes custom. A buddy of mine has a neon and a dude on his forums made him one with 80% reduction with 1" drop... but I don't find anything online with a good reduction for mustangs... anybody care to help plz let me know! Thnx guys!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:02 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: short shift

my tri-ax cut the shift length by about 40% it feels like. i throw any more than that would be a bitch on the street tho IMO

Old 11-29-2007, 04:10 PM
psykobrat
1st Gear Member

Yea cuz 1 vid on I think mgw's site shows the throw, and it actually seems kinda worse cuz he has a can of coke in the cup holder to show the room with it in 2nd, and its barely enough to fit his hand through.. How far is ur throw from 1st to 2nd would you say?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:14 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

i dunno lol i know its def shorter tho.. ALL the 3 major brands give like a 25-40% throw. the main reason IMO for upgrading your stock shifter really isnt for the short throw, because the stock one isnt even that bad..its just to get the sloppyness out of it. my steeda it FIRM and pressice i can go through the gears without moving my arm..i just move my wrist
Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: psykobrat

I have an 02 gt and I've been lookin for a nice short shifter. I see that everybody really compares mgw, pro50 and tri-ax... I was really interested in the mgw cause people seem to like those the most, as far as acurate shifts and nice supression... but as I was watching a video of the shift, it seems to not be a reduction at all. So I'm wonderin if anybody on here makes custom. A buddy of mine has a neon and a dude on his forums made him one with 80% reduction with 1" drop... but I don't find anything online with a good reduction for mustangs... anybody care to help plz let me know! Thnx guys!
I have an 02 too and I bought the MGW shifter about a year ago. The shifter is much more firmer and changing gears is easy and fun. I'm totally happy with my purchase and I havn't regretted it for a second!

As for the % of reduction, I don't know exactly but I do know however that you can ajust the MGW shifter in many ways to have a really nice and personalized shifting "movement".

Hope this helps,

Nick
Old 11-29-2007, 04:29 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Comparing the potential for improvementof a FWD cable operated monkey-motion shifter (like the Neon's) with the potential improvement for a direct linkage mechanism like the Mustang's is a pointless exercise.[/align][/align]The MGW has the shortest throw of any aftermarket Mustang shifter, so short in fact that the most commonly heard gripe about it is the amount of effort required to shift (reduced travel at the operating end of a leverwillrequireincreased force untilfundamental mechanical principles are repealed).[/align][/align]On my MGW equipped '03 GT the total travel from 1st to 2nd** (or any top/bottom shift) is 2-5/8", with the OEM shifter it was almost 4-3/4". This isa reduction of 45%, with a corresponding 45% increase inforce required to move the lever.[/align][/align]---------------------------------[/align]** - I have shortened the shift **** stud (lowering the ****) on my MGW by 5/8", this serves to even further decrease the travel from the unmodified MGW pattern.[/align]