4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

PROF. INSTALLED NEW VORTECH KIT BLEW MY ENGINE IN 20 MILES

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:48 PM
cgel12866

Default PROF. INSTALLED NEW VORTECH KIT BLEW MY ENGINE IN 20 MILES

Hi,

I have a 2003 Mustang GT with about 65K miles on it.No mods other than CAT-Back exhaust. I just had a new Vortech High Output, intercooled kit installed on my car by a motorsports shop in San Jose that has been in business over 10 years (computer was sent to Vortech to have them install their tune). I picked my car up Friday, which was May 2nd at 7:30 pm.

I drove it a few miles, picked up my girlfriend, took it on the highway, and was in fourth gear switching to fifth, when I heard a ticking noise. I immediately went to cover the brake, and in that instant there was a loud noise, followed by white smoke. This all happened in under 20 miles.

I had it towed to the shop, and they say a connecting rod went through the block. Now the shop is pointing the finger at Vortech, and Vortech is pointing the finger at the shop, and no-one is willing to help me out in any way. Now I am quoted an engine swap, that is about $5K with parts and labor.

My question is what I should do? What is the point of paying out the nose for a new supercharger from one of the most established companies, then paying out the nose for a professional installation, only to have the engine blow in under 20 miles?

Please help!!! Any ideas will help. I have never abused my car, and now I have to put the entire engine swap on credit cards at high interest because I spent all my cash on what I thought was a reliable set up.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:55 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

Default RE: PROF. INSTALLED NEW VORTECH KIT BLEW MY ENGINE IN 20 MILES

get a lawyer. I think the shop owes you an engine personally.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

wow, damn that sucks What kind of oil did you use in the motor and when was the last oil change, also what RPM were you at when it blew?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Did they rebuild your bottom end on your engine too?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Isnt the shop responsible for this kinda ****? [&:] Theyre supposed to tune the car so that its driveable with the mods on it. If they charge ya for the job, but its not done right, and it damages your car, they should be held responsible for their ****up.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:34 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I would lean towards the tune as the cause of the destruction. It sounds like you detonated. Detonation can kill the engine in seconds when under boost. You have to find out why vortech thinks its the shops fault. I think that either vortech wasn't givin the right info of what was getting installed. Either way why in the world would you have a shop install it if their not going to do a custom tune.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:45 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Wanna sell that Vortech? Sorry to hear about your ride.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:43 AM
Mjaga251
2nd Gear Member

Both Vortec and the shops fault...as said by others above. Both owe you money or a new engine!
Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

What shop in San Jose did the work for you?

I want to be getting blown here soon and one of the shops that is supposed to know mustangs really well is in SJ.

PM me if you do not want it to be public.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:10 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

you should have had the shop dyno the car to check your AF and tune it themselves. instead, you went with essentially a mail order tune, which everyone on here will tell you is only good if you want a blown motor. it's the shop's fault for not checking it, vortech just sends a generic one.

what vortech did you put on there and how much boost? if you went all out with like 15psi and 450RWHP, then that's your fault for not researching what your car could take.

you should have at least paid for a dyno run. you paid them to install it, which they did. they did what they were paid to do, which was install it. you chose to do the vortech tune thing. it's on you. www.modularmustangracing.com .

Quick Reply: PROF. INSTALLED NEW VORTECH KIT BLEW MY ENGINE IN 20 MILES