MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   Royal Purple (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/504335-royal-purple.html)

trickdriller 12-15-2008 11:38 AM

Royal Purple

I hear all the time about how people put this in their Mustangs and how great it is. BUT, I talked to one of the guys I work with (used to work for Ferrari) and he tells me that if you haven't been putting that stuff in there, then don't start now. My car has 64,000 miles on it. Any thoughts from the Mechanics in the house?

Jbauer 12-15-2008 12:15 PM

I don't like it.. i dont know why it's so popular amongst Stang owners.
Do your own research and look at its analysis after use.. It's a POS oil. and i'm willing to bet the gear oil and transmission fluid is trash too.. i really believe people only like it because it's purple.
Buy something quality..like redline

DreamerGT 12-15-2008 12:46 PM

I started using with 66,000 miles on the clock and no problems here. And man that redline cost more then RP.

Grabber 12-15-2008 01:07 PM

I've been using RP on both my Stangs for a while now. There are a lot of test results showing RP does the least amount of damage compared to other common oils.

I went almost 6,000 miles on a K&N Oil Filter and RP 5W20 and the oil was still good. Not to mention, the Cobra is daily driven, and sees quite a few redlines a day(this was part of my RP experiment)

For the record, most poeple don't like it because it's purple, that is a dumb comment. They like it because people that can really tell a difference between oils, realize it is a quality oil.

My engine idle's a lot smoother now. The motor feels smoother while driving. Again, everyone has their opinion on oil . If one person says it's bad, people will feed off of that one time, and say it's bad. I think that is retarded. If you haven't used it, don't talk about it. If you have, then that is your personal preference.

jwarner0297 12-15-2008 03:51 PM

all of our cars are fine with standard oil. To move to ANY synthetic oil is going to be much appreciated by the motor. RP is good but it's harder to find, so I just use Mobil 1

mustangman281 12-15-2008 03:56 PM

I used RP once once. My car sat for 6 months while deployed and all the valve seals dry rotted which caused me to burn thru oil so fast that I spun bearings and had to buy a new engine. I used regular oil this deployment and the car sat for a year and the car was perfect when I came back.

Timspony 12-15-2008 03:56 PM

...I see no problems using Rotal Purple or any other syn. oil for that matter...

trickdriller 12-15-2008 05:12 PM

Thanks for the input. I think I'll just suck it up and spend the money on the RP.

Thanks again.

lizzyfan 12-15-2008 05:30 PM

Nothing beats good ole Dino oil.........especially in blown apps!

GTRACER88 12-15-2008 05:32 PM

I have had no problem and its been 25,000 Miles with RP.

Davojan59 12-15-2008 06:04 PM

me and my buddy did our little research on the RP oil, after he used it on his 600whp srt-4 with horrible oil burning results, and we found out from the company itself that their oil is designed for racing applications and is actually designed to leak a bit. For daily driven cars, it is not recommended because it will foul up plugs after a while of burning the oil. This problem does not apply to purely racing vehicles because they change their plugs constantly and they can deal with the oil burning. I dunno that's just what they told us but it could be untrue. I just can't justify paying so much for oil. I have been using Castrol Syntec for quite a while now and haven't had problems.

optimus prime 12-15-2008 06:42 PM

I've used RP for the last 4 years on every car I've owned from daily driver's to full race cars. It is great stuff for the money. I agree with what's been said here that if you haven't used it, don't tell some story about it. It decreased oil temps in my forced induction cars when I'd been using mobil 1 previously. It's good oil, I haven't had anything but good results in 4 years.

... that's 7 cars btw.

optimus prime 12-15-2008 06:45 PM

if you would like more information than you'll ever read on oil, here's a link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Davojan59 12-15-2008 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by optimus prime (Post 5752470)
I've used RP for the last 4 years on every car I've owned from daily driver's to full race cars. It is great stuff for the money. I agree with what's been said here that if you haven't used it, don't tell some story about it. It decreased oil temps in my forced induction cars when I'd been using mobil 1 previously. It's good oil, I haven't had anything but good results in 4 years.

... that's 7 cars btw.

well first of all this isn't some story from some one and so on...this is the info i got from the company itself. I wasn't using it but my buddy was and i've been there for his build and as soon as he went back to regular synthetic oil, he had no more problems of burning oil. I am NOT saying this oil is crap im just telling the folks about my experience with it, so please don't get ur panties all bunched up please.

Jbauer 12-15-2008 07:13 PM

Optimus Prime..just so you know, most people on that link you posted HATE Royal Purple...with a frikin passion.

I have yet to see a UOA worth mentioning with Royal Purple. That oil produces Less than Decent results..no better then other synthetics, and really, a lot of the times worse.

Royal Crap Can not even meet the specifications of cars newer than 2004, it's not even API SM approved. It's a bad oil at a bad price. I challenge people here to pay the damn 15 dollars and get an analysis done on this oil after 5,000 miles. Then do the same on Valvoline Syn power or Pennzoil platinum or pretty much any other synthetic oil except Mobil 1 (which performs poorley also from what i've seen)

Davojan59 12-15-2008 07:15 PM

i dunno i briefly looked at that link's site and it just didn't look too credible to me...

optimus prime 12-15-2008 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Davojan59 (Post 5752567)
well first of all this isn't some story from some one and so on...this is the info i got from the company itself. I wasn't using it but my buddy was and i've been there for his build and as soon as he went back to regular synthetic oil, he had no more problems of burning oil. I am NOT saying this oil is crap im just telling the folks about my experience with it, so please don't get ur panties all bunched up please.

I hate it when they get all bunched up! My post was not directed at you, just in general. I've read a lot of posts on here about RP that just don't make sense. I can't figure out why I just haven't had the same issues...am I just really lucky? They do make oil just for racing applications, however their standard oils are for everyday use.

http://www.royalpurple.com/rp-faqs-v.html
watch the videos too...
http://www.royalpurple.com/rp-videos.html

optimus prime 12-15-2008 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Davojan59 (Post 5752646)
i dunno i briefly looked at that link's site and it just didn't look too credible to me...

They are all opinions is my point... you don't know until you try it. A lot of people on that site are also crazy.

alexr 12-15-2008 07:21 PM

ive never had a problem with using a regular synthetic oil rather than RP or something else at that price. im not paying over $8 for a quart of oil, when i can get something for about $3 or $4, and get the same results. for what abuse this car sees, i have no need to spend that kind of money on oil.

optimus prime 12-15-2008 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jbauer (Post 5752631)
It's a bad oil at a bad price. I challenge people here to pay the damn 15 dollars and get an analysis done on this oil after 5,000 miles. Then do the same on Valvoline Syn power or Pennzoil platinum or pretty much any other synthetic oil except Mobil 1 (which performs poorley also from what i've seen)

Have you?

Not all Amsoil oils are API approved either, yet everyone swears by them. I was under the imppression that Exxon/Mobil helped develop the API standards as well ...seems like a little bit of conflict of interest to me. What I'm getting at here is in order to actually meet these specs, some things have to be compromised. However, oils that are not approved could still be used and in some cases be better than the approved product. Kind of a use at your own risk situation.

Davojan59 12-15-2008 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by optimus prime (Post 5752669)
They are all opinions is my point... you don't know until you try it. A lot of people on that site are also crazy.

ok well then why would you recommend a site saying that it has everything one needs to know about oils if it's full of opinions and not credible info. I mean that's what this forum is for, to tell others about your experiences. Im not saying that you're just lucky but i was just stating my experience just like you were talking about yours.

optimus prime 12-15-2008 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Davojan59 (Post 5752721)
ok well then why would you recommend a site saying that it has everything one needs to know about oils if it's full of opinions and not credible info. I mean that's what this forum is for, to tell others about your experiences. Im not saying that you're just lucky but i was just stating my experience just like you were talking about yours.

I said it's all you'll ever want to READ... not NEED... jeez

look, there's actually a forum on there. If you look at RP v Amsoil threads they have opinions going both ways. You can't just skim through it and rag on me for putting a link to a bunch of other opinions... that doesn't seem very fair. I told you my experience. The rest of the research is at your fingertips.

Davojan59 12-15-2008 07:41 PM

read or need, both basically implicate the same thing. Anyway im not ragging on you im just saying people should probably just state their experiences and be done. You went on talking about how people who have no experience talk about RP on these forums. Well it didn't happen in this thread so it isn't really relevant.

optimus prime 12-15-2008 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Davojan59 (Post 5752788)
read or need, both basically implicate the same thing. Anyway im not ragging on you im just saying people should probably just state their experiences and be done. You went on talking about how people who have no experience talk about RP on these forums. Well it didn't happen in this thread so it isn't really relevant.

so you had a personal experience or did I read that wrong? It wasn't "your friend". Ok... I will leave this thread alone. I don't claim to know it all. Just tried to lend some advice from my own personal experience and that didn't go over very well. It's cool, just the internet.

Davojan59 12-15-2008 07:52 PM

Yes i consider it a personal experience. We changed his oil to RP, then took the car for a test drive and it kept burning oil and after about 40 miles we came back, pulled the car in the garage letting it idle and it was still smoking blue quite a bit. Then we shut off the car, let it sit for 10 minutes and discovered that the oil was at the bottom of the mark on the dipstick. We then immediately changed the oil back to Castrol Syntec (what he was running before) and a minute after start up it completely stopped smoking. We went out for a similar drive again and no smoking. Then came back and checked the oil and it was still on the money.

Yea i consider this as experience because i was with him the whole time and helping him through everything. NOW if i was saying "Yea i heard a buddy of mine telling me this and that..." then you would have every right to rag on me.

Jbauer 12-15-2008 07:53 PM

DavoJan, that link is very informative..if you know where to look on there and who to listen to, it's probably the best source of information you can find on this topic while still keeping it remotley interesting.

[QUOTE=optimus prime;5752688]

"Have you?"

Yes, I have. Very high wear metals and shoddy performance. The place that did the UOA told me that this was typical for users who used Royal purple for the first time and that i would get better results over time. Lots of iron content too IIRC. I've also seen many UOAs from people who used the oil often..not very convincing. down right shamefull for the price.

"Not all Amsoil oils are API approved either, yet everyone swears by them."

Like what? to my knowledge all the popular Amsoil are API (in gasoline anyway) I once contacted Amsoil, and they actually told me that their oil is SM, but that they run out of SM bottles so they ship it as SL labled when you order from online. Amsoil are also Group IV/V Base synthetic oils, not BS synerlock or whatever technology that Royal Purple Claims.

"I was under the imppression that Exxon/Mobil helped develop the API standards as well"

I'm sure all the manufacturers were included, but i'm sure that Exxon mobil, as well as probably every other oil manufacturer had a very limited power role in the process. The Petro. institute for automobiles sets these standards..just like the government works with automobile manufacturers to meet Airbag safety and crash standards and MPG ratings.

"some things have to be compromised. However, oils that are not approved could still be used and in some cases be better than the approved product. Kind of a use at your own risk situation"

Yes, something is compromised. In royal purples situation, a higher quality base stock is compromised. you can see what it excells in with a simple cheap Analysis. it doesn't out preform at all. Look at Red line..if you like high quality oil, and really want to spend frikin 8 dollars a bottle, look at the quality of redline.. Very high on Moly, excellent wear, long lasting protection..no trade offs..except the price. I still refuse to pay that much for engine oil. I'll use Redline Gear oil and transmission fluid since i'll probably never change it again for as long as i own the car but thats it. period

optimus prime 12-15-2008 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Davojan59 (Post 5752835)
Yes i consider it a personal experience. We changed his oil to RP, then took the car for a test drive and it kept burning oil and after about 40 miles we came back, pulled the car in the garage letting it idle and it was still smoking blue quite a bit. Then we shut off the car, let it sit for 10 minutes and discovered that the oil was at the bottom of the mark on the dipstick. We then immediately changed the oil back to Castrol Syntec (what he was running before) and a minute after start up it completely stopped smoking. We went out for a similar drive again and no smoking. Then came back and checked the oil and it was still on the money.

Yea i consider this as experience because i was with him the whole time and helping him through everything. NOW if i was saying "Yea i heard a buddy of mine telling me this and that..." then you would have every right to rag on me.

first off... way too many variables and details left out of that story for it to have been only the RP oil.

Second, I wasn't making that comment about you, I just piggybacked on what was said on the first page that I agreed with.

third, we are waaaay off topic... sorry OP.

optimus prime 12-15-2008 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=Jbauer;5752840]DavoJan, that link is very informative..if you know where to look on there and who to listen to, it's probably the best source of information you can find on this topic while still keeping it remotley interesting.

Originally Posted by optimus prime (Post 5752688)
Have you?

Yes, I have. Very high wear metals and shoddy performance. The place that did the UOA told me that this was typical for users who used Royal purple for the first time and that i would get better results over time. Lots of iron content too IIRC. I've also seen many UOAs from people who used the oil often..not very convincing. down right shamefull for the price.

Not all Amsoil oils are API approved either, yet everyone swears by them.
Like what? to my knowledge all the popular Amsoil are API (in gasoline anyway) I once contacted Amsoil, and they actually told me that their oil is SM, but that they run out of SM bottles so they ship it as SL labled when you order from online. Amsoil are also Group IV/V Base synthetic oils, not BS synerlock or whatever technology that Royal Purple Claims.

I was under the imppression that Exxon/Mobil helped develop the API standards as well

Say what? I'm sure all the manufacturers were included, but i'm sure that Exxon mobil, as well as probably every other oil manufacturer had a very limited power role in the process. The Petro. institute for automobiles sets these standards..just like the government works with automobile manufacturers to meet Airbag safety and crash standards and MPG ratings.

some things have to be compromised. However, oils that are not approved could still be used and in some cases be better than the approved product. Kind of a use at your own risk situation

Yes, something is compromised. In royal purples situation, a higher quality base stock is compromised. you can see what it excells in with a simple cheap Analysis. it doesn't out preform at all.

As much as I would love to continiue this for miles and miles of posts. I just don't think that it would do any good other than demonstrating that you and I understand a little bit more about this than the average consumer... and that we don't agree at all.

Jbauer 12-15-2008 08:09 PM

I understand..some ppl are anal about their oil.
I have no brand loyalty..if a brand makes something good, i'll stick with it but thats it. If Royal purple makes something i feel is nice, i'll buy it. I'm totally un biased. but my UOAs and the UOAs on BITOG and the opinoins of many of the most intelligent members on that site point to Royal purple being below special and costing way too much for what it offers.
Your free to dis agree.
*Exits quietly*

optimus prime 12-15-2008 11:10 PM

For those who care and are still reading this thread, RP is API-SL approved btw:

From RP's website....... API Warranty Approved - Royal Purple Motor Oil is a fully approved oil that meets API warranty requirements and therefore will not void new car warranties. Royal Purple Motor Oil is compatible with other mineral and synthetic motor oils. Switching is easy. Drain old oil. Change the filter. Add Royal Purple Motor Oil.

http://www.royalmgi.com/about.shtml

Independent study by North Carolina U:
http://www.royalpurple.com/why-use-rpi/ncsu021112.pdf

and here's Mobil 1 throwing Amsoil under the bus, the same Exxon/Mobil that developed most of the API standards:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...il_Claims.aspx

Grabber 12-16-2008 08:23 AM

Wow this thread went crazy!

I understand the brand loyalty. I am very loyal to RP.

Every person has a different experience with different oils. Some think it's bad, some think it's good.

Apparently since there are some of us that have good experiences, the oil must be fairly decent. How it is I can daily drive two Supercharged cars, running fairly high boost (11.39 PSI on my 07 GT and about 14 PSI on my 03 cobra) and not have any problems?

I think deep down people don't like Royal purple for a few reasons.

1. People can't feel the difference in performance that RP advertises.
2. It is pretty expensive
3. People are biased and go by normal standards;I.E using a universal oil, Mobil 1, Castrol, etc.

There are a lot of factors. But, if you, yourself, your own personal vehicle, has not had RP in it, you can't really relate to those that have been using it for a while. Sorry OP for this thread going WAY off topic.

CAMDUP 12-16-2008 09:42 AM

my experience with rp was SMOKE bad at wot (fred/lizzyfan can witness) switched to amsoil and have never had a problem since

R-code17815 12-16-2008 10:19 AM

Just remember every car is different, every motor is different, tolerances vary. Some people wont run it just because Wal-Mart or some place doesn't sell it cheap, some people don't like the purple look. No one oil is gonna make everyone happy, thats why we have so many brands to argue about.

Personally, I've ran it in every engine (car,truck,lawn mower) I have for probably 10 years and luckily never had a problem. My Mach 1 runs Royal Purple XPR with Ford racing filters changed every 3000, I have had the car for over 2 1/2 years without any oil related issues, just my 2 cents.

Jbauer 12-16-2008 11:12 AM

You can't run it in A new car with out voiding the warranty, and the back of the bottle itself bears witness that it is not meant to be used on newer cars. it's API rating is out dated.. thats all i was saying. OP, just look at all the facts and make your decision.. either way, your engines not gonna blow up or something.

Grabber 12-16-2008 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jbauer (Post 5754377)
You can't run it in A new car with out voiding the warranty, and the back of the bottle itself bears witness that it is not meant to be used on newer cars. it's API rating is out dated.. thats all i was saying. OP, just look at all the facts and make your decision.. either way, your engines not gonna blow up or something.

Royal Purple does not void your warranty. My S/C does not void my warranty. Only if the oil or S/C is the actual cause, the warranty will be fine. Where did you get that info? That sounds like something you pulled out of your a$$.

Also, RP states that it is perfectly fine to be used in New Cars. HOWEVER, they do have a recommendation of waiting at least 2,000 miles before using a different oil in gasoline engines. Also, 8,000-10,000 miles for Diesel engines.

The reason people's engines leak is because of extensive oil deposits being removed can expose marginal or damaged oil seals. Now, if the car already had oil leaking problems, it's not because of Royal Purple.

Jbauer 12-16-2008 05:33 PM

I don't care what Royal purple says, they are trying to sell a product.
The fact is the API does NOT recomend using Royal Purple in any car newer than 04.

As far as them having to prove the oil was the problem..believe me, if you have ANY, internal engine problem, they WILL beyond a single doubt blame the royal purple and they have a solid case against you in court. Good luck proving in court that the oil you were advised not to use was not the culprit in the engine failure.. how would you fight against it? Judges aren't veteran drag racers..not most of them anyway.

ddmsgtr1 12-16-2008 07:36 PM

Just to help the OP out with his original question, the reason someone probably told you not to switch is because alot of people believe that when you switch from running conventional to a synthetic on a higher mileage car, you can become prone to leaks.

SVTeeshirt 12-16-2008 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by mustangman281 (Post 5751767)
I used RP once once. My car sat for 6 months while deployed and all the valve seals dry rotted which caused me to burn thru oil so fast that I spun bearings and had to buy a new engine. I used regular oil this deployment and the car sat for a year and the car was perfect when I came back.

and thats why im sticking to dyno oil

when i store it for winter i want my valve seals to be good, yes i'll start it and everything but **** it.

Grabber 12-17-2008 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jbauer (Post 5755547)
I don't care what Royal purple says, they are trying to sell a product.
The fact is the API does NOT recomend using Royal Purple in any car newer than 04.

As far as them having to prove the oil was the problem..believe me, if you have ANY, internal engine problem, they WILL beyond a single doubt blame the royal purple and they have a solid case against you in court. Good luck proving in court that the oil you were advised not to use was not the culprit in the engine failure.. how would you fight against it? Judges aren't veteran drag racers..not most of them anyway.

It's pretty ironic you say this.

My local ford dealership that I have an awesome relationship with(both of my cars are there quite often and I only go there) they encourage me to use Royal Purple in my Application.

Wouldn't that be against the law if Royal Purple advertised an oil that actually hurts a motor, but they claim it to be the best? How many millions of horror stories have we heard about people using Royal Purple? Not a lot.

Just because you don't like a certain oil, doesn't mean you have to try and convince everyone that thinks about using it to not use it.

How is it I have gone 10K+ Miles using Royal Purple in a Supercharged application and nothing has happened? Luck? Ok, what about BOTH of my cars? Coincidence? I think not.

Sk1tz0 12-19-2008 12:48 AM

back to the question

Grabber

i have a 99 GT vert, the day i baught it it had 53k on it. I took it home and changed EVERY fluid and filter in it, and hose, and plugs etc.... I used RP bumper to bumper, including drain and flush RAD and add purple ice. I now have 68k on the old girl no problem daily drive and i beat it's A@# every day!! ps. i still change it at 3k as well and it's my car so what ever!

pps. i have a toyota highlander as well i baught with 100k on it guess what i did to it the day i gots it??? humm thats right RP bumper to bumper, guess what else no a d@m % problem.

so i guess i will continue using RP as so i have on every car i have owned in the last 10y!! and i aint lookin back!!

hope this helps!