4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tail Lights Tint Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM
gec
2nd Gear Member

Default Tail Lights Tint Discussion Thread

Over the past few weeks there have been numerous threads relating to tinting tail lights and who did what and how. I have chimed in here and there trying to pursuade those who were doing it to professionally darken them to their liking. I fell on deaf ears here and on mirc, mostly because you need painting experience or you need a good body shop painter to finish the look. Well, mine are now complete and can display the result for you. I am by no means bashing anyone who has either used vinyl or spray tint, I merely want to have all the options displayed here. Obviously, my way is much more involved and would cost more and not a DIY mod for a novice. Hopefully, the rest of you who have done something different can post up your pics and maybe the pro's and cons so other members can decide which route to take.

Process
1. Fine Sand
2. Clean thoroughly
3. Tape off
4. Spray multiple layers of light coats until desired shade is accomplished
5. Smooth out any defects
6. Shoot the clear coat
7. Heat Cure

Pro's
1. Perfect flawless look
2. Will never Fade or Peel

Cons
1. Not Removable
2. Most cost for this mod

Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

looks really good man i need to do mine but have no time
Old 01-12-2009, 01:33 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

that looks really good!!! its a really nice "smoke"..

put it on your car and take a pic of it directly in the sun, and in the shade!!

i think you definitely made up my mind to have them professionally painted. im sure the guy who paints will know how to do it and what im talking about, but how much black/clear did you use?? id dyou mix black/clear and keep going to desired shade, and than clear coat over that??
Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Looks great but, as you said, for the novice, this would be an iffy and costly experience if not done right. Even taking it to a pro painter has it's drawbacks as what you consider "medium" and he considers "medium" can be two different things.

I still think that vinyl tints are better for street driven cars since it gives the option of pulling off the tint if you need to, for whatever reason, along with the low cost.

For a show car that's not driven on the street and will have tons of people scrutinizing it then this method would probably be better since it is seamless.

John
Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
kadoi
1st Gear Member

looks beautiful. I wish i had the experience to do this. Maybe i will just yank some tail lights off of some random car in the junk yard it give it a go.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

Damn GEC, nice work. Did you mix the black paint and the clear and then another coat of clear? or how did you do it?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
gec
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
that looks really good!!! its a really nice "smoke"..

put it on your car and take a pic of it directly in the sun, and in the shade!!
I will bud as soon as all this snow clears up...lol

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
i think you definitely made up my mind to have them professionally painted. im sure the guy who paints will know how to do it and what im talking about, but how much black/clear did you use?? id dyou mix black/clear and keep going to desired shade, and than clear coat over that??
Didn't take much paint. Just 2 small tail lights. Yes, that is exactly how its done. Those are 4 passes of black/clear mixed then 2 coats of clear.

Originally Posted by kadoi
looks beautiful. I wish i had the experience to do this. Maybe i will just yank some tail lights off of some random car in the junk yard it give it a go.
15 bucks a piece at the junkyard
Old 01-13-2009, 01:46 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

hmmmm.. did you wet sand? what grit?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 AM
gec
2nd Gear Member

Always use water when sanding. If your gonna bring it to the painter HP he will know. The orginal sanding is to remove the clear the factory put on there to get to the bare surface of the light. 1000 was sufficient.

I fugged up the first try myself and had to have the painter (cousin) correct it. Again, I can do this but not without help. Anyone of us can prep and spray..using nightshades in our garage...but mixing the paint to get the effect and fixin fug ups not my area of expertise. My only advantage is my cousin is a pro and I'm willing to go into the booth and make mistakes myself in order to learn and become better.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:32 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

how does the light shine through the tail lights when painted??

Quick Reply: Tail Lights Tint Discussion Thread