4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Yet Another Rookie Poster

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:05 AM
GT Warrior

Default Yet Another Rookie Poster

Just picked up a 2002 GT with 6,503 real miles on it. Still pinching myself about getting it, the miles and that it's really in my garage. It's automatic and a convertible.

I am looking to set it up as even better touring missile. I'm OK on tires and wheels and have ordered a Ford Racing Suspension for handling (reasonable price). I'm working on the brakes and aspiration/exhaust.

I would like better RWHP and response. My question to you experienced guys is what amount of mod from the air filter to the exhaust tips works and what gain could I expect from 1) a bigger CAI, 2) bigger throttle body and 3) better exhaust? On the exhaust, I'm not looking for more noise (that may be a by product) but what do you get from something like a cat back Borla system? If I go from headers on back, would that not be much more effective at lowering back pressure?

And, after all that money, do you really get actual RWHP gains and a fatter, lower torque curve?

And, anyone got a good suggestion on a decently priced brake set up (rotors, pads, calipers).

I leave saying that my first car was a 1968 Barracuda and I shudder to think I was the second owner, the car only being a year old. But I am so blasted glad to be in a real American Muscle Car again!

Last edited by GT Warrior; 05-05-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Don't waste ur money on a CAI syste, just get the filter. Do the tb/plenum combo, and full exhaust (headers, midpipe, catback), and you WILL see some gains...roughly 25 hp?

And yes with a new exhaust system you will get noise. Just get like a borla catback, bbk catted h pipe, and longetube headers, and it will be more "muscular" sounding but not deafening. It will sound great!

If i were u i would do gears (4.10s prob), and full exhaust. Your car will FEEL and SOUND a lot faster. Plus u get some hp.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

gears a tune and exhaust are your best mods for an auto... then t/b plenum combo...
Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

^ +1 forgot the tune...i forgot ur an auto. It will help imensly with shift points, and overall power.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Well your starting yourself off in a whole with buying an automatic convertible GT, if you want to go fst. Those are not exactly pavements rippers. My best advise would be to get gears, a blower and a tuner.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
GT Warrior

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies so far.

Some explanation, maybe. The automatic is important because my partner, the lovely lady and wife she is, has arthritis and that makes a shifter problematic. I actually don't want to burn rubber. (god knows the Cuda did plenty of that for me, I can tell stories like any older gentelman).

I want this thing to be more competent at handling (pulling more G with less body lean and tire squeal), braking (deeper into a turn braking) and mid-level acceleration, let's say above 20 mph. The stock 4.6l has a nice torque curve but I would like it to pull harder at lower revs. I call that a fatter curve. The whole original Shelby thing was based on a competent road racer. Us older folks need the automatic at times but crave the road based performance improvments.

I don't want to mess with the block but I get from your help that better flow through and a tune based on the increased flow from the airfilter to the exhaust tip will help. That makes sense and I appreciate it!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:09 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

intake/exhaust is always a good start. Gears will probably help the most for an auto but your not gonna get any big gains without a supercharger/turbo setup
Old 05-05-2009, 03:16 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

I agree with most of the above with the exception of tb/plenum, I think they are kind of a waste. So gears, K&N Filter, Full exhaust, and the suspension kit you already ordered will have you happy for a while. Then if you want more you can always finish it off with a nice supercharger
Old 05-05-2009, 03:21 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

you definitely NEED a tuner if you want to really wake up the car.. than you can firm your shifts and such... i had it on my auto v6 and it worked WONDERS

besides that, definitely open up the exhaust. i have a borla catback along with a catted x-pipe and its really not even loud enough!! but it sounds pretty damn good.. deep and smooth... no raspiness

sounds like you are getting a nice suspension upgrade.. i hope some lowering springs came with that package!!!

as for brakes... a nice cheap upgrade would be the bullit/mach1/cobra upgrades...
they are 13" rotors for the fronts compared to our 11.5 or something like that...

check out buyfordracing.com you can pick up the whole front brake kit for $400 shipped...
Old 05-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

one thing i will add is if your looking for a bit of handling subframe connectors hands down, and that goes double for a vert! it well help alot with handling and even off the line acceleration. And worst case, you get no gain from it for some odd reason? its cheep bought mine MM 150 and had them installed for 40 bucks, course install might be more like 80 or 100 but still cheep, and one of my better mods so far.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Rookie Poster