4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

locked up engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:45 AM
thehulk07
1st Gear Member

Default locked up engine

I have a air intake that goes under the fender, it was raining real bad a few days ago, and my engine locked up. The insurance adjuster is coming out to look at the car i have full coverage on it, but willl me having a modified air intake void the insurance or not?
thanks
Old 05-02-2009, 11:47 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by thehulk07
I have a air intake that goes under the fender, it was raining real bad a few days ago, and my engine locked up. The insurance adjuster is coming out to look at the car i have full coverage on it, but willl me having a modified air intake void the insurance or not?
thanks
ask your insurance company?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:50 AM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Uh, throw the stock intake back on it real quick.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:56 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by black35th
Uh, throw the stock intake back on it real quick.
i would say this isnt good....my last insurance adjuster was a car guy and he knew what he was looking for when it came to my car.... nothing beats insurance fraud
Old 05-02-2009, 12:19 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Uh...did you drive into a pond? How did you manage to suck in that much water?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:26 PM
mustangman281
Banned

The only engine I have ever seen that locked up due to hydrolock was a dodge ram 5.7l hemi. He was off roading and wnet into a hole at 5000rpms and the water was over the hood. It threw the rod right thru the block.

Driving thru a puddle will not do this. The small amount of water will hit the maf causing the computer to dump fuel and stall the engine. From there the water evaporates and settles in the cylinder locking it up.

Pull all the sparkplus and let is sit in a dry place for a day. Then spray in some wd40 in all the sparkplug holes and slowly turn the motor back and forth. Once is starts to turn easier put all the plugs in and start the car.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:28 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by mustangman281
The only engine I have ever seen that locked up due to hydrolock was a dodge ram 5.7l hemi. He was off roading and wnet into a hole at 5000rpms and the water was over the hood. It threw the rod right thru the block.

Driving thru a puddle will not do this. The small amount of water will hit the maf causing the computer to dump fuel and stall the engine. From there the water evaporates and settles in the cylinder locking it up.

Pull all the sparkplus and let is sit in a dry place for a day. Then spray in some wd40 in all the sparkplug holes and slowly turn the motor back and forth. Once is starts to turn easier put all the plugs in and start the car.
or let the adjuster write you a nice fat check, and then do this....then use insurance money to mod
Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
or let the adjuster write you a nice fat check, and then do this....then use insurance money to mod
Coming from the guy that just lectured me about insurance fraud.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by black35th
Coming from the guy that just lectured me about insurance fraud.
its not the same thing...if the adjuster comes and determines that the engine is locked up, then let them pay for it... engine stopped running, he parked car, insurance adjuster comes to see it...

thats diff than swapping out parts and pretending the car wasnt modified

Old 05-02-2009, 01:50 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

LOL, either way, I think one of the definitions of insurance fraud is using insurance money for a different purpose than it was intended. If they wrote him a check for a new motor only to find out that his was fine, and then he spent the money on some "aftermarket performance parts" they would be pissed and there would probably be some court involved. Wouldn't you think?

Quick Reply: locked up engine