MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   Q for GT owners with Auto-tranny and stock gears (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/537731-q-for-gt-owners-with-auto-tranny-and-stock-gears.html)

TheDarkKnight 05-13-2009 08:05 AM

Q for GT owners with Auto-tranny and stock gears

I have a question concerning tire spin. From a standing start, when you stomp the gas pedal (WOT) does your GT break the tires loose at all?
How about when it shifts to 2nd at WOT, do the bark at all?
I'm getting ready to install my 3.73's anyway, but I was wondering how other GT auto-tranny owners compare. I have my shift points increased on my Diablo as well as a few other mods. Just want some others to chime in about theirs...

:cool:

mustangman281 05-13-2009 08:08 AM

Your not going to get the tires to spin without a tune. With the diablo you should set your shift points to 5500, modulators down to 0 and shift firmness to max or just below depending on your preference.

TheDarkKnight 05-13-2009 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by mustangman281 (Post 6197566)
Your not going to get the tires to spin without a tune. With the diablo you should set your shift points to 5500, modulators down to 0 and shift firmness to max or just below depending on your preference.

I have it tuned using my Diablo, but I'll re-check the settings per your recommendations. After swapping out my coils last night I gave it a quick test and from a standing start (let off brake, stomp on gas) the tires broke loose briefly and when it shifted to 2nd they barked again. So perhaps a little more tune adjustment will help.
I didn't mention it before, but the Trac-loc is turned off via the Diablo as well...
Mostly I'm trying to see how it's performing compared to other GT's with autos.

BTW - what is the function of the torque modulation setting in the Diablo?.
EDIT: Here's what I found on the Diablo site:
"Torque modulation is designed to limit torque output during abusive situations like a full throttle upshift.
The TM will cause the PCM to pull timing to kill power until the shift is done."

Thanks

steve0914 05-13-2009 08:51 AM

my tires would not spin at all when i had stock gears... with my tune and 4.10's if i slam on the gas, i'll just stand still, thats even with my 315's plus i will definitely bark in second

isjoining 05-13-2009 12:36 PM

mine did once with crappy all season tires.

TheDarkKnight 05-13-2009 12:44 PM

Hmmm....

Originally Posted by isjoining (Post 6198169)
mine did once with crappy all season tires.

Well it sounds like I should be please if my stock gears are able to break the 275's loose (even if briefly) and bark into 2nd.
Now I really can't wait to get the 3.73's in!:p

GThopeful 05-13-2009 03:54 PM

I have stock gears with a dyno tune and an auto. From a stand still smashing the gas I break loose, and will start to slide sideways. 1st to 2nd shift is a full on spin, not just a bark. Hell I get a bark out of 1st to 2nd under accel and it shifting at like 3500.

green2000gt 05-13-2009 05:36 PM

I have a bone stock GT auto and when I stomp on the gas I can spin for about 5-10 feet but only the right tire spins

GThopeful 05-13-2009 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by green2000gt (Post 6198869)
I have a bone stock GT auto and when I stomp on the gas I can spin for about 5-10 feet but only the right tire spins

Might wanna look into a trac-lok rebuild kit.

TheDarkKnight 05-13-2009 08:48 PM

Wow!

Originally Posted by GThopeful (Post 6198553)
I have stock gears with a dyno tune and an auto. From a stand still smashing the gas I break loose, and will start to slide sideways. 1st to 2nd shift is a full on spin, not just a bark. Hell I get a bark out of 1st to 2nd under accel and it shifting at like 3500.

With stock 3.27's? WOW! :eek:
What other mods are involved?