4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 05:35 PM
straightexhaust

Default Tuning

I purchased a SCT Livewire a few days ago and it wont work. Ive tried on 3 different vehicles and am going to return it. So instead of wasting the money on a tuner does anybody know of a kit (software and a obd cable) that you just use a laptop and software to tune your vehicle. I think that would make much more sense. If anybody has any experience with this it would be awesome
Old 05-23-2009, 06:00 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

The Sniper Commando and I think SCT has a version too. They are much more expensive then the hand helds though.

What doesn't work on the livewire? Do you get an error message or something?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:02 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Here's where you can buy it...

http://www.haneymotorsport.com/Snipe...20Software.htm

Here's where you can learn how to use it....

http://www.snipertuningforums.com/
Old 05-23-2009, 06:04 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like your SCT live wire needs the software updated, you can do it, its simple just go to SCT's website and download the new patch's. Or return it and buy Sniper's software and tune it yourself. The best way to tune your car is at a performance shop, go to the shop, and tell them you want a performance tune for your car. They may be able to figure your SCT out or update it for you. Any way you will get the best bang for your buck if the car is tune properly rather then using a canned tune from a tuner. Canned tunes aren't horrible, but you will hardly notice your car is tunned. I know there is a lot of people on here that will flame me for me hating canned tunes, but I do.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:06 PM
straightexhaust

when i get ready to finally load the tune. It says turn key on but dont start. It hangs and doesnt do anything. Im getting 18 volts at the pin when its looking for the (key on) and i also dont have a chip in. Dont know what the problem is, i also have the latest firmware on it....
Old 05-23-2009, 06:14 PM
straightexhaust

hey black35th, that sniper tuning looks sweet and is what i had in mind. which kit would you recommend me getting. im all stock cept exhaust right now. but in the future looking to push somewhere in the 400hp ballpark with a blower and such.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:16 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

I would recommend the Special Forces for right now. Later on down the road, when you get your blower and get familiar with tuning, you can upgrade to the Commando.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:17 PM
straightexhaust

do i have to buy a whole new kit or is the difference just in the software?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:23 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

The difference is in the software.

Although, if your fairly comfortable with tuning and you have a wideband o2 gauge, then just go ahead and get the Commando.

The Commando includes the Special Forces, the Commando just lets you basically go above and beyond what the SF can do. The SF will let you make the basic tune and the Commando will let you fine tune it.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:27 PM
straightexhaust

sorry to keep bothering you but how come some places want $400 and others want close to $800 for the same kit? i just wanna make sure that if i get the commando, im getting everything i need

Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply: Tuning