4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What else should be done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:09 PM
DMBM

Default What else should be done?

Hey guys, I bought my car about 2 months ago and have been lovin every minute of it ( 99 GT 5spd ). I notice that when I have it running there is a noise coming from the clutch area, but when I depress the clutch the noise goes away. I'm thinking the throwout bearing is on it's way out. While I have it apart doing the bearing what else should be done at this point, so I am not tearing it apart again a few miles down the road for another problem in that area. Should I go ahead and do the clutch at this time?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Probably the throwout bearing happens a lot. If you need a clutch now then it's obviously good to do it now.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

what kinda noise is it??? It could just be the clutch spinning in the bell housing. Mine makes a little bit of chatter when engaged in neutral. Is that what youre talking about???
Old 08-06-2009, 06:58 AM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DMBM
Hey guys, I bought my car about 2 months ago and have been lovin every minute of it ( 99 GT 5spd ). I notice that when I have it running there is a noise coming from the clutch area, but when I depress the clutch the noise goes away. I'm thinking the throwout bearing is on it's way out. While I have it apart doing the bearing what else should be done at this point, so I am not tearing it apart again a few miles down the road for another problem in that area. Should I go ahead and do the clutch at this time?
i had the same sound on mine and it was the throwout bearing, well bc it already apart i would upgrade the flywheel and maybe a better clutch for when the mod bug bites you! i would also replace the input shaft with a 26 spline,and aluminum driveshaft thats about it
Old 08-06-2009, 11:27 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

do you know how much an input shaft is??? If you do all you stated above, youre looking at like $1400 in parts alone. A nice stage 2 clutch is like $330, input shaft is $270, flywheel is another $300, and the driveshaft is like $300. so youre looking at like $1200 without install. thats a ton of money to blow just for saying "while its apart, might as well". Just do a clutch cus those usually come with the throw out bearing and maybe a flywheel if you are so compelled to do so. But i wouldnt do an aluminum flywheel. Steel is better for launches. More inertia.