4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

so confused (tunning question)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

Default so confused (tunning question)

ok so for those of you who saw my a/f graph you know that it is jacked up. the reason the tuner said he couldn't lean it out any more is because the paramiters of the tuner where already maxed out. so i called sct today and asked them if i could purchase something that gives me more adjustability. he said no you have to get a custom tune. Isn't that what i got when i got a dyno tune???? or did the guy tune my car through my tuner??????? i'm so confused becasue i thought whenever you get a dyno tune its custom written for your car??? reason i'm asking because my car is running like poop ever since the tune and i can't stand how my car is running pig rich after a 200 dollar tune.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

What did you purchase from SCT, a hand held tuner? What your tuner is suppose to do is use his SCT tuning software, make a tune and then load it using your hand held. If he's just sitting there trying to tune your car using an X2 or something... yikes. Run.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by massred98gt
ok so for those of you who saw my a/f graph you know that it is jacked up. the reason the tuner said he couldn't lean it out any more is because the paramiters of the tuner where already maxed out. so i called sct today and asked them if i could purchase something that gives me more adjustability. he said no you have to get a custom tune. Isn't that what i got when i got a dyno tune???? or did the guy tune my car through my tuner??????? i'm so confused becasue i thought whenever you get a dyno tune its custom written for your car??? reason i'm asking because my car is running like poop ever since the tune and i can't stand how my car is running pig rich after a 200 dollar tune.

First can you repost the graph? Second, was he using advantage to tune the car or just the "User adjustability" of the Xcal2? There are no “maxed out” parameters for leaning the mixture (well there is, you could set the entire MAF to 0 lbs/min but this would result in a car that wouldn’t even start)
Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
What did you purchase from SCT, a hand held tuner? What your tuner is suppose to do is use his SCT tuning software, make a tune and then load it using your hand held. If he's just sitting there trying to tune your car using an X2 or something... yikes. Run.
i have a sf3 (x3) handheld tuner. its not like he was chillin there in the driver seat with the sf3 plugged in playing around with it. so every tune you get from a dyno should be custom to ur car??? because thats not the impression i got from the tuner? and this is a notable shop pretty respected where i'm from.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by massred98gt
i have a sf3 (x3) handheld tuner. its not like he was chillin there in the driver seat with the sf3 plugged in playing around with it. so every tune you get from a dyno should be custom to ur car??? because thats not the impression i got from the tuner? and this is a notable shop pretty respected where i'm from.

Did he modify the tune on a laptop or desktop computer?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Do you remember anything looking like this?

Old 08-24-2009, 10:42 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

If you're paying for a custom tune that's exactly what you should be getting.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
If you're paying for a custom tune that's exactly what you should be getting.
I agree this whole thing sounds fishy, I'm with you I think the dude just used the "end user" adjustment on the xcal...
Old 08-24-2009, 11:12 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
I agree this whole thing sounds fishy, I'm with you I think the dude just used the "end user" adjustment on the xcal...
My thoughts exactly... either this guy is screwing you around, or you didn't fully understand what service he was planning on offering you.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:30 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

i wasn't allowed in the garage when they were doing the pulls so i didn't see what programs he was using. all i saw was a screen with a tachometer and a couple other things. what's an "end user"?? i'm going to give him a call tomorrow regardless because i have alittle pinging above 4k rmps.

Quick Reply: so confused (tunning question)