4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Help with value

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:27 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Default Help with value

Hey all,
Im thinking about buying another mustang and possibly selling mine. Im looking at what looks to be a 97 GT. Its yellow manual and unsure of miles as of right now. Passed it the other night while riding around in my buddy's 98 BAB GT. I took the liberty of looking up the private party value of the car on KBB and it said that private party good condition was about $4200. Now the guy wrote on the window make an offer and need to sell. So i figured id post on here and ask for ideas on what to offer if i would feel so inclined to buy the car. The reasons for wanting to sell and buy the 97 are as follows:

1. Hardtop(more structurally sound for modding)
2. Money to immediately turn around and mod the car(hello trickflow heads and cams...)
3. Already has FLSFC's
4. Blank canvas to build from
5. Color looks better
6. Cheaper for insurance than an 02 GT Convertible

So from my reasoning, I think this would be a smart idea to look into for the time being since i dont really want to do a supercharger and nobody has the trickflow heads really yet. Its a perfect opportunity to pretty much upgrade my car for the same money i would sell my current car for. Any input would be greatly appreciated. And any other questions you have, just ask. I'll answer them to the best of my ability and if i cant, i'll ask the guy when i call him.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:54 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Don't sell your car. Save up for new heads and cams to put on your current Stang.

Just my .02
Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

meh keep the vert
Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well I'd love to keep the vert but this way im going faster with the same amount of money pretty much. Know what i mean??? I love having a vert but it costs more and stuff. So pretty much doing it because it makes a little bit more sense power/$ wise than my current car that still needs a bunch done to it to make it to where im happy with it.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Well I'd love to keep the vert but this way im going faster with the same amount of money pretty much. Know what i mean??? I love having a vert but it costs more and stuff. So pretty much doing it because it makes a little bit more sense power/$ wise than my current car that still needs a bunch done to it to make it to where im happy with it.
yes but u are swapping your car for another that is 5 years older. 97 is 13 years old this does not make any sense to me.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:05 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by teej281
What was the point of asking the question then, if two people say you should keep it, yet you say your going to sell it?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:43 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
yes but u are swapping your car for another that is 5 years older. 97 is 13 years old this does not make any sense to me.
Why does that matter? Neither car is really worth dick, and if the 97 is in good shape than what the hell.... do what makes you happy.

If you can sell your car and pocket some mod money and you think you're going to be happy with the 97, I'd say do it.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:40 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Find out about the mileage first and foremost, obviously you don't want to downgrade to a '97 GT with 140K miles on it, even if yo'ure going to be putting a bunch of cash into the motor.

I would imagine however, that you're not going to get *as it was put* 'dick' out of your car if you try to sell it or trade it etc....

Not that '97 GTs should be worth more than 4-5K REGARDLESS of mileage, but to sell your car, then buy heads/cams/intake and whatever else you want, you might end up paying more.

It's all about what you want to do. If your car is in good condition, just save up some cash and put the go fast parts on your car, at least you'll know your car has been taken care of etc...