4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Starting the swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 AM
streetdemon

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
make sure you swap over the driveshaft and rear end also, unless you've atleast beefed up your 7.5" donno wut you've got going on right now.

have you considered buying some longtubes or a tubular K-member (cheap and will let you install longtubes without having to do anything hard down the road) now while your car is easy to work on? it would be stupid easy to throw some longtubes on that car now rather than decide to in the future and have to tear apart the front end again.

like said, selling your v6 stuff and the parts car when your done with it you should be able to come out of this having spent not too much money.
oh i forgot to mention the scrap GT was basically free thanks to my ex girlfriend, she paid for it lol but i will be selling these v6 parts and making profit
Old 09-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Smokeybear001

lol, i need to meet your ex, i like free stuff too....
Old 09-18-2009, 04:06 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

^Haha! i think we should all meet her....
Old 09-18-2009, 04:41 PM
streetdemon

i got the rear tires/calipers off gonna take the rear-end out tomorrow morning, monday i'll be throwing in the gt rear-end + engine & tranny then spend maybe another day hooking everything back up, im gonna use my same exhaust that was on my car but i gotta get it cut to fit the v8 so i gotta run with open headers to a muffler shop, im gonna feel like such a jack ***...
Old 09-18-2009, 04:43 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

**** is going to be loud as fawk man.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:38 PM
streetdemon

yup but i'll be so glad + it gives me some time to test the car out i just hope it doesnt decide to quit on me in the middle of the freeway on my way to the shop lol
Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 PM
streetdemon

just a small update

im getting ready to drop the engine and transmission in, the engine harness is in place through the left and right fender, i was installing the hydroboost system along with the lines and then noticed on the abs pump that i forgot a few lines

i had to run up to the junk yard and pull some lines off a wrecked 01 gt, i noticed that the pumps are different between 99-00 to 01 and up i assume
the pump had an extra hole for another independant brake line to run to the rear the 99-00 setup had one brake line coming from the pump to the rear which split off at the rear and ran to both sides i guess ford thought it would be more effecient to run a seperate line for the other side in 01?

i also saw a v6 with abs vacuum boosted, i thought v6 models didnt come with abs at all heh, well the whole brake line asembly from the pump to the rear cost 40$ no big deal now its time to pressure was the engine compartment and then clean the engine and get ready to drop it all in

im so ready to get my car back, i found out today that t-lok came stock on all GT rear-ends i didnt know that and was happy/surprised i hope this thing comes together soon
Old 10-03-2009, 10:25 PM
streetdemon

Alright, got the engine/transmission in and exhaust all bolted up, the driveshaft isnt in yet cause the rearend seal needs to be changed, monday im calling the locksmith to come reprogram my keys all the accessories inside the car work so just for future reference for anyone wanting to do this swap

all you need is the engine, and the complete harness inside the engine bay, the computer, the rearend tranny and driveshaft and your good you do not need every piece of wiring from the V8 donor car!

here are some pics, i just washed and waxed her =P

cant wait till monday
Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Runamuck

So the k-member is the same? What about motor mounts?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by streetdemon
i got the rear tires/calipers off gonna take the rear-end out tomorrow morning, monday i'll be throwing in the gt rear-end + engine & tranny then spend maybe another day hooking everything back up, im gonna use my same exhaust that was on my car but i gotta get it cut to fit the v8 so i gotta run with open headers to a muffler shop, im gonna feel like such a jack ***...
dont feel like a jack ***. i loved my cut outs behind my lt headers on my 99 ls1 camaro. they never stayed capped! lol

Quick Reply: Starting the swap