4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Brake caliper, pads and rotors help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:59 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Exclamation HELP

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
save yourselves all money...

buy from buyfordracing.com

AM is usually the cheapest, but not in this case
is rear brakes more important that front??? I'd like to know. Because here is what I got for my 04 GT. Getting from buyfordracing.com

Rear Brake Bracket Kit

Used to install Mustang Cobra, Mach 1, or Special Edition rear calipers on a 1994-03 Mustang GT(this will work with 04?) .Kit includes; production 11.65' rotors, caliper mounting brackets, moan braces, dust shields and dust shield bolts.

Cobra Rear Black Brake Calipers

Replacement rear calipers and brake pads for 1994-03 Mustang Cobra with 11.65" rotors

Then im keeping on front stock calipers & rotors and getting cheap brakes at an auto store.

THOUGHTS??? is this the best route???? HELP

THANKS GUYS
Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

slotted and drilled rotors have less surface area...just get blanks
Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

are you sure you can't just rebuild the caliper? thats what im about to do and it only cost me $35.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:04 PM
TSUCKLEY

decelarotors from Baer are really nice, picked up some for my car.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkRacerx
is rear brakes more important that front??? I'd like to know. Because here is what I got for my 04 GT. Getting from buyfordracing.com

Rear Brake Bracket Kit

Used to install Mustang Cobra, Mach 1, or Special Edition rear calipers on a 1994-03 Mustang GT(this will work with 04?) .Kit includes; production 11.65' rotors, caliper mounting brackets, moan braces, dust shields and dust shield bolts.

Cobra Rear Black Brake Calipers

Replacement rear calipers and brake pads for 1994-03 Mustang Cobra with 11.65" rotors

Then im keeping on front stock calipers & rotors and getting cheap brakes at an auto store.

THOUGHTS??? is this the best route???? HELP

THANKS GUYS
Just the opposite... front brakes are more important than rear brakes. That doesn't mean you can't do what you are wanting to do tho.

One other thing to think about.... do you really want CHEAP brakes when that is all that is stopping you? Personally I think how well I can stop is as important if not more so than how fast I can start and go.

Also, I don't know if it is my Haynes manual or a Ford thing, but my front calipers are NOT the same as on an '03... they were more like a cross between the '03 GT and Cobra. Kind of hard to explain, but following the Haynes instructions I had to go more by the Cobra instructions rather than the GT instructions, but there were parts of it that were not the same. Rears I don't know about as I haven't done anything with them yet.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:17 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT
Just the opposite... front brakes are more important than rear brakes. That doesn't mean you can't do what you are wanting to do tho.

One other thing to think about.... do you really want CHEAP brakes when that is all that is stopping you? Personally I think how well I can stop is as important if not more so than how fast I can start and go.

Also, I don't know if it is my Haynes manual or a Ford thing, but my front calipers are NOT the same as on an '03... they were more like a cross between the '03 GT and Cobra. Kind of hard to explain, but following the Haynes instructions I had to go more by the Cobra instructions rather than the GT instructions, but there were parts of it that were not the same. Rears I don't know about as I haven't done anything with them yet.
its your haynes manual. those things are poop.

you have the same hardware as an 03.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Question WHOA hold the Brakes

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT

ok... Im a brake noob so someone just list what I should have. So then I can stop being wishy washy please?

I def need a brake job and my rotors do need to be replaced. Other than that im open. Will I need a new dust shield & calipers as well? I would like to keep the budget $500 or less if i could.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkRacerx
ok... Im a brake noob so someone just list what I should have. So then I can stop being wishy washy please?

I def need a brake job and my rotors do need to be replaced. Other than that im open. Will I need a new dust shield & calipers as well? I would like to keep the budget $500 or less if i could.
well what is the condition of your rotors? you might be able to get away with only having them machined instead of buying new ones.

the basics are just rotors and pads. you will not need a new dust shield and you shouldn't need a new caliper unless you find otherwise while you are taking it apart.

i would post a link, but i really don't know of any. most of my car knowledge has come from the stack of books that i've been slowly collecting. i would just recommend buying a book on brakes (or just car mechanics in general) and read it.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Thanks DarkRacer
Old 09-29-2009, 12:16 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Thanks DarkRacer
Hey we had similar questions. .... just post it up dude. We're all friends around here so don't be hating.

Quick Reply: Brake caliper, pads and rotors help