4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM
misplacedbuckeye

Exclamation help!!!!!

ok guys... I have a beautiful black '96 GT that has been a pleasure to drive until a few weeks ago. It had been raining for a week here in NE Texas, and I drove thru a pretty deep pool of water..not like a creek or anything but it was prolly about eight inches deep and I hit it pretty hard...the engine stumbled a little but didn't die... i drove it home turned it off and it hasn't started since... I checked power at the coil packs and I have constant power but no intermittant power and no ground....somethin obviously got wet and shorted out but I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is.... I can't believe I am the only person this has happened to... all or any help will be greatly appreciated....
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by misplacedbuckeye
.... I can't believe I am the only person this has happened to...
You can't believe other people haven't drove through eight inch deep water in their Mustang?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:27 PM
misplacedbuckeye

I thought I would get some help fixing my car from some stand up guys....patronizing me doesn't help me at all....if this is the kind of assistance I will be getting I will join another forum....
Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by misplacedbuckeye
I thought I would get some help fixing my car from some stand up guys....patronizing me doesn't help me at all....if this is the kind of assistance I will be getting I will join another forum....

dont be so sensitive.

start with the basics, check fuel pressure, check for spark. my guess is that your missing one or the other.

without narrowing it down a little dont expect too much help. there are alot of things that can cause your car to not start, and the water may not have anything to do with them.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:10 PM
0440thgt
2nd Gear Member

Is it possible that you got water into the intake???

If not, electrical gremlins are a friggin nightmare to figure out, for me at least.

Hope you get her back on the road soon!
Old 10-30-2009, 01:52 PM
misplacedbuckeye

I appreciate the input guys.... haven't actually checked the fuel pressure however I can hear the fuel pump cycling and the exhaust smells like raw fuel... I have no ground or intermittent power at the coil packs... which is what makes me think electrical problem and I dont think any water got in the intake,since the air filter was totally dry... seems like I am about to spend alot of time under the hood with a test light... I have a friend with a scanner and since it has OBD II... I am hoping that will narrow down the possibilities... I will let you guys know what happens...
Old 10-31-2009, 10:37 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

check your fuses