4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Camshaft upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 PM
2003mustang
1st Gear Member

Default Camshaft upgrade

Since in a earlier post i have to upgrade my suspension i am also looking at camshafts

http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...?csid=966&sb=2

those are the cam shafts comp cams i talked to about and they said i should be ok to use on my engine. My Intake manifold is im told the PI version since its a 2003 GT. So here are my questions.

Will the camshafts i have work with my car? car is 2003 mustang gt 4.6 SOHC convertible

Aside from the camshafts do i need to buy new gears and bolts and so forth or will stock work fine? I realize new springs and retainers are in order.

Once installed approx what HP can i expect to gain from putting these camshafts that i linked above?

Also being in the army at FT sill i have access to a auto craft shop for free...except pay for using the bays..and the tools are good from oil changes to complete overhauls on the engines and transmisions and so forth and ASE mechanics work there helping people out and guiding them what to do...so my question i once i have all the stuff i need....are camshafts hard or easy to install nd whats the approx time to install?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:42 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

comp cams are the lamest of all the cam shafts. They need to stick with pushrod motors and leave the OHC cars alone. cushman motorsports/hitechs are some of the best on the market. Hitechs are for stock heads and arguable are the BEST cams out for stock pi heads. CMS cams are GREAT all around and good for ported heads.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
2003mustang
1st Gear Member

HOSS...i saw these

http://www.hitechmotorsport.com/inde...pper&Itemid=85

high performance stage 2..have NO piston or valve issues..so should be safe for me then.

what else do i need aside from the camshafts?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

These cams will work, but there are better alternatives as mentioned above. You should also check into Bullet Racing Cams. Modular Head Shop has Bullet grind them to their specs. They have a variety of grinds that are very specific to n/a, turbo, blower, nitrous, NPI heads, PI heads, etc...
Old 11-08-2009, 09:56 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2003mustang
HOSS...i saw these

http://www.hitechmotorsport.com/inde...pper&Itemid=85

high performance stage 2..have NO piston or valve issues..so should be safe for me then.

what else do i need aside from the camshafts?
A lot of half assers on this forum will tell you not to worry about getting valve springs but its something you SHOULD get. I just ordered the Hitech stage 2s wich require nothing to be put in, but I went ahead and bought new springs and retainers. Since you have a Romeo Motor you do not need to worry about cam gears or n e thing like that.

Cams are all you need(if you go with a cam with </= .55 lifit) but You should also get valve springs.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 PM
2003mustang
1st Gear Member

okay..so camshafts and springs and the retainers. I was looking into the springs and stuff because your putting new cams in and might as well get teh support stuff for it. Do i need new camshaft gears? would i need i guess called valve covers or lifters or something?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:07 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2003mustang
okay..so camshafts and springs and the retainers. I was looking into the springs and stuff because your putting new cams in and might as well get teh support stuff for it. Do i need new camshaft gears? would i need i guess called valve covers or lifters or something?
you dont need new cam gears, or valve covers. you MAY need new valve cover gaskets tho.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:34 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Depending on far off your stock cam gears are, you would be wise to at least degree them or possibly buy some replacment cams gears that have been reset.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:09 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Correction Hoss... I am pretty sure the cam sprocket bolts are TTY. I need to get the part number myself so I can make a trip to the dealership for them. and I wouldn't say we are half assing if we don't do springs. Some cams simply are mild enough that they do not exceed the limits of the stock springs. Not to mention you aren't going to be revving high enough with a mild cam and stock bottom end to really warrant it in some applications. Not being a smart ***, just saying.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
Correction Hoss... I am pretty sure the cam sprocket bolts are TTY. I need to get the part number myself so I can make a trip to the dealership for them. and I wouldn't say we are half assing if we don't do springs. Some cams simply are mild enough that they do not exceed the limits of the stock springs. Not to mention you aren't going to be revving high enough with a mild cam and stock bottom end to really warrant it in some applications. Not being a smart ***, just saying.
Like iv said before, its like lowering your car on stock shocks/struts. Half assed. Hitech stage 1 cams have the same lift as stage 2s so they cause the same valve spring stress. You agree that stage 2s warrant a spring change but the stage 1s have the same lift.

I dunno I just think when you do something you should do it right and not cut corners.

Quick Reply: Camshaft upgrade