4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

87 octane?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM
lcdt94
2nd Gear Member

Default 87 octane?

Would it be possible to run 87 octane if i pulled the blower belt off? The reason I ask is because I can get 87 octane for free, and without the blower I should be able to run a lower octane gasoline, right?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

How do u get it for free? And yea i think u should be able too
Old 01-26-2010, 07:35 PM
lcdt94
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02stang2113
How do u get it for free? And yea i think u should be able too
My dad owns part of a farm and they have their own gas tanks. Does the blower belt drive anything besides the blower?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

You can run 87 with the blower belt still attached if you don't go wot and put too much load on the engine and create boost. That is of course if your not runnng a roots/twin screw setup where it is much harder to stay out of boost.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
lcdt94
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris98Gt
You can run 87 with the blower belt still attached if you don't go wot and put too much load on the engine and create boost. That is of course if your not runnng a roots/twin screw setup where it is much harder to stay out of boost.
Ehh...stock eaton is on there, you think <2k rpm would be alright?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Free gas?! I dont have a blower...so i'll take some But i guess you could. You'd have to get an n/a tune for it and put a stock style air intake put back on and might need smaller injectors again but you could do it and still leave the blower physically on the car and just put the belt on whenever you want to have the blower and change the tune, intake, and injectors. Best thing for you to do it get whatever tuner you use(SCT, diablo, sniper) flip switch that way you can switch tunes on the fly. I wouldnt do it though. If youre that worried about it, then sell the blower and use that money for other things. Also, you might be able to retard the timing a lot and be able to run the blower with the 87. Also, might be able to buy a methanol kit with the money savings and still have high octane gas All are options.

Edit: Wait...what motor are you running? If you are running a termie motor in your car, you'd have to get the tune put to 87. And i think the belt drives the accessories as well. So you'd probably have to get a 99/01 cobra belt to make it work without the s/c if you have the 03 cobra motor with stock eaton.

Last edited by teej281; 01-26-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

I don't think the blower belt drives anything else. so you probably could do it. It should drive fine with same injectors and intake piping and tune. I mean Its not like its crazy rich when your driving around normally out of boost because its designed to run that way with the bypass setup.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 PM
lcdt94
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Free gas?! I dont have a blower...so i'll take some But i guess you could. You'd have to get an n/a tune for it and put a stock style air intake put back on and might need smaller injectors again but you could do it and still leave the blower physically on the car and just put the belt on whenever you want to have the blower and change the tune, intake, and injectors. Best thing for you to do it get whatever tuner you use(SCT, diablo, sniper) flip switch that way you can switch tunes on the fly. I wouldnt do it though. If youre that worried about it, then sell the blower and use that money for other things. Also, you might be able to retard the timing a lot and be able to run the blower with the 87. Also, might be able to buy a methanol kit with the money savings and still have high octane gas All are options.

Edit: Wait...what motor are you running? If you are running a termie motor in your car, you'd have to get the tune put to 87. And i think the belt drives the accessories as well. So you'd probably have to get a 99/01 cobra belt to make it work without the s/c if you have the 03 cobra motor with stock eaton.
That sounds like a big *** headache, I think I'm just going to put a few gallons of 93 in there and fill the rest up with 87 and drive it like a minivan until I head to the track.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 PM
lcdt94
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris98Gt
I don't think the blower belt drives anything else. so you probably could do it. It should drive fine with same injectors and intake piping and tune. I mean Its not like its crazy rich when your driving around normally out of boost because its designed to run that way with the bypass setup.
So I'd just take the belt off and that would be it?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 PM
effin' speedracer
2nd Gear Member

Buy a cheap beater car and put the 87 octane in that... I'd never put cheap gas in something with a supercharger/turbo.

Quick Reply: 87 octane?