4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Auto or 5 spd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:49 PM
StangManBen

Well, if it helps any... before we got our first Mustang GT, I took my wife out and taught her how to drive a 5-speed! She was looking at Mustangs with auto's... I had to put my foot down (first and last time that's happened lol). For the fun of driving, nothing beats a manual. However, I will say that on my DD, I'm definitely glad to have an auto as shifting through rush hour sucks. And while I don't eat in the Mustang, if you ever have to get lunch on the go or anything... have fun doing that while shifting in town. But, when you really want to have fun and drive the car... it's gotta be a 5-speed!!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:20 PM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Conn337
I have to agree, i have a auto 07. and I wish that I would have got a 5 speed. Even though ive put down some 5 speeds in races, and then some autos. Which I go to school and im a DD. So thats part of the reason too.
stock for stock a manual will beat a auto because you lose torque through a automatic transmission.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

I've had both. A properly setup auto. will get you down the 1/4 with reg. consistency. The 5 speed w/ a King Cobra clutch really sucked when stuck in traffic for an hour or longer. It's hard to drink coffee on the way to work sitting in traffic. I have the auto now w/ 4.10's. If only I could make my Gear Vendors Overdrive unit work on my FORD, I could have an 8 speed auto. That would make 4.56's a great daily driver... really depends on your daily commute....Auto= higher parasitic drive loss.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:50 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

for just a daily to cruise in and use for transportation, you really cant be the awesomeness of a stick...i would go for the 5spd, when i was looking for a car i wouldnt even consider one if it was an automatic

if youre looking to build a strip car though, go for the auto

the people who say it will suck to multitask in a stick probably dont drive one....its not that hard...i can talk on the phone, eat, play with the radio, whatever in any kind of traffic....it takes like 1 second to move the shifter...

stop and go traffic just leave it in first, set your coffee down for a second if you pick up again, or put your coffee in your left hand and shift...unless you have insane alignment issues, youre not going to veer off the road in the 2 seconds of letting go of the wheel to shift

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 02-11-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

Ha, Ha, true that.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:00 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
for just a daily to cruise in and use for transportation, you really cant be the awesomeness of a stick...i would go for the 5spd, when i was looking for a car i wouldnt even consider one if it was an automatic

if youre looking to build a strip car though, go for the auto

the people who say it will suck to multitask in a stick probably dont drive one....its not that hard...i can talk on the phone, eat, play with the radio, whatever in any kind of traffic....it takes like 1 second to move the shifter...

stop and go traffic just leave it in first, set your coffee down for a second if you pick up again, or put your coffee in your left hand and shift...unless you have insane alignment issues, youre not going to veer off the road in the 2 seconds of letting go of the wheel to shift
amen, although dangerous. I do that all the time, eat talk and drive...
Old 02-12-2010, 08:25 AM
mark a rittenhouse
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by polaraman
I'm going to buy a 94+ mustang in the next few weeks and wondered if there's a HUGE difference between the automatic vs the manual. Can i have fun driving an automatic?

All things considered stock and equal, what kind of gas mileage would i get with both of those cars?
how bout this, you could go with an auto manual shift vavebody, got one and i love it! you will have to fork out some coin. It is rated to 900 horse. built thu fb performance in newyork.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by mark a rittenhouse
how bout this, you could go with an auto manual shift vavebody, got one and i love it! you will have to fork out some coin. It is rated to 900 horse. built thu fb performance in newyork.
his trans wont be rated to 900hp...just the vb

just wanted to put that out there incase he read what you said and got the misconception that a nice vb will increase the limits of his trans....the vb itself may be rated to 900, but his trans would give out before that
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I have had my auto GT for almost 6 years now and I love it. I think autos can be fun still.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:34 PM
mark a rittenhouse
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
his trans wont be rated to 900hp...just the vb

just wanted to put that out there incase he read what you said and got the misconception that a nice vb will increase the limits of his trans....the vb itself may be rated to 900, but his trans would give out before that
you might be right i do know i was pushing about 8oo horse at the crank thru it d-1 pro charger 200 shot of nitro. had a transbreak on it stalling it out at4200 the motor went after eight months the converter was not in perfect shape cracked open the trans its fine.

Quick Reply: Auto or 5 spd?