4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

The Pain a financial Set back causes

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IEGT1015
Where are you in Illinois?
Im in Addison

Teej is correct....it is my dd that needs all the repair work

So here is the final bill on my repairs:

Tie rod ends, Rear wheel cylinder, front rotors and pads, rear wheel bearings, Lower control arm bushings.

Parts and install brought me to a grand total of $799.67 Not as big of a hit as I thought, but deffinatley could have used that money towards having my springs, upper and lower flsfc's installed.

On a side note, I decided to rince the salt off the car today. While doing so, those stupid *** chrome fender trims got taken off. Here's the before and afters.
Before
After
Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I know you said you don't have a place or tools but over 1/2 of that was probably labor. Get yourself a cheap STD/Metric socket set and Wrenches. You would be amazed what you can fix with simple hand tools. And what you don't have can usually be rented for free
$ set backs only get worse as you get older. My situation = 1 income and a House Payment,2 car payments,2 kids and a I'm also into Quads. Try finding Mod $ in that scenario
Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
Fixed.

Yeah, my setback is called being a broke college student. Really, that is the main reason why I have been playing with the idea of selling the car, cause right now it is a constant expense, between insurance and always wanting to tinker with it, where I could sell it and have enough for my last semester of school. Truthfully though, I don't see it happening, I love this damn thing too much to watch it go, but if the money is right...well everyone has their price.
+1 im a college student as well and i have a GF haha. I still make money to mod though which is good.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
I know you said you don't have a place or tools but over 1/2 of that was probably labor. Get yourself a cheap STD/Metric socket set and Wrenches. You would be amazed what you can fix with simple hand tools. And what you don't have can usually be rented for free
$ set backs only get worse as you get older. My situation = 1 income and a House Payment,2 car payments,2 kids and a I'm also into Quads. Try finding Mod $ in that scenario
Don't get it twisted....
I have a mortgage. It may only be on a condo, but its a mortgage with all the extras like electric, garbage, satelite etc. I have a five year old son that races mini motards and a wife that autox's. We have four cars, but thankfully, all but one are paid off, not to mention insurance.
And yes.....I have tons of tools but not high end ones like spring compressors or torch wrenches. I could do most of them repairs, but there isn't a chance in hell I'm gonna sit in the snow covered parking lot and bust my knuckles to make those repairs.
If it were summer time or at least 50 degrees out, or I had a garage...it would be different story.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Same story here.... Had a kid last July, getting married next month (oh sh*t that's this month!), gotta buy a house before more goodies for the car, and on top of it all my employer of the last 3 1/2 years is now attempting to financially sodomize their employees (lucky for me they don't have the market cornered, though).

BTW, OP; good call on losing those chrome fender things. Looks good.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR

BTW, OP; good call on losing those chrome fender things. Looks good.

yeah, the ex-owner had a different taste. As soon as I can afford to flip the coin on wheels and tires, the current flying saucers are gone too.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding. Deffinatley wish you well.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Ouch, I know what you mean though. I would have purchased the maximum grip kit from the start but then a few things came up and I could only afford the coilover kit.. and what would have taken me less than a month to get their whole kit on, took me 2 years.

But I couldn't be happier, with it taking more time to get the suspension setup it actually helped my driving. It allowed me to see how each mod affected my handling and taught/showed me how my driving actually is (I.E. I prefer to have a little understeer) Look at the silver lining man, atleast you have a DD, when my car is having issues, I have to ride my motorcycle rain=/ or shine.

If all things went right and I was single the whole time I've owned this car, I would have had it paid off, done with mods and most likely looking to sell it to buy a cobra.. Enjoy the process, being antsy about the mods sucks but it'll be worth it when your all done^^.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 AM
brandonse24

I was planning on so gears and a tuner, had to replace brakes, rotors, clutch, u joints, 2 tires, springs, shocks and 2 sensors..... it'll be another month or 2 before i get to try again
Old 03-03-2010, 07:17 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

^ you could just do gears for now and save yourself the 380 bucks to put towards some mods. Our generation stangs do not need a tuner to fix the speedo when you do gears. You just gotta buy the little speedo gear for like 8$ and your set.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:06 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dr.apex
Don't get it twisted....
What are you talking about? I was being sympathetic to the lack of $ for the toys
What was a twisting?

Quick Reply: The Pain a financial Set back causes