4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

hidden power questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 AM
KLeech
1st Gear Member

thanks for the heads up on the seat delete. yeah im 6'2, so the only place i have to go is up in weight.

nice looking car btw man, really digging the color and black wheels.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:24 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

I took out the mach 460 rear deck too thats at least 60lbs. Another good idea that was touched on is getting lighter wheels, even if its only 2 in back. If you sell your old ones wont cost you much at all. Along those lines an aluminum drive shaft would also complement the weight reduction.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

do a full upr suspension with k member, a arms, an coilovers. battery relocate, then install an aluminum teksid block
Old 03-25-2010, 01:28 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

i didnt think the hood was fiberglass...if it is then its just exceptionally heavy cuz my fiberglass stalker hood is like half the weight...and not sure about the trunk but obviously carbon fiber would make a difference..on any body part for that matter...i think the heaviest thing we have are the doors and i dont even wanna know how much carbon fiber doors could cost lol
Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I refuse to buy the seat delete becasue it looks like crap. it looks recesses into the surrounding hard plastic of the rear deck etc. ill make one that sits more flush and looks better.

i have not taken my seat out to see what i am dealing with yet, but i can't imagine it takes too many brain cells to make something up.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
KLeech
1st Gear Member

i already have stock mustang 5 spoke wheels powdercoated black that im running now. and i wont sacrifice those kinds of looks for some weight. as far as removing audio... i enjoy my music and would probably never do that. so i think this answers my question. there really is no hidden power to be found.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:58 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLeech
i already have stock mustang 5 spoke wheels powdercoated black that im running now. and i wont sacrifice those kinds of looks for some weight. as far as removing audio... i enjoy my music and would probably never do that. so i think this answers my question. there really is no hidden power to be found.
Two of my friends have made rear seat deletes it has cost then honestly the cost of carpet which is like $20 at Pep Boys and 2x4's they have gotten off of friends. And it looks good, plus if you enjoy your music so much remove those stock heavy speakers and put in lightweight subs within your custom rear seat delete kit. I'm sure you have the knowledge to do all that.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:25 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLeech
The only "bolt on" left would be an electric water pump....honestly could be good for up to 10rwhp. You can also have your tune tweaked for a few extra ponies if that is a base SCT canned tune.

Weight reduction is your only other option if cams/heads and power adders are out of the question.....I can't seem to understand why they would be considering adding power is what you want. You can pick up a nitrous kit for a few hundred bucks and add 100rwhp. more than all your bolt ons combined.

You can do a rear seat delete, spare + jack delete, get rid of your quad shocks since you have UCAs + LCAs, get rid if the wishbone on the diff, alum flywheel, alum DS, k-member, a-arms, coil-overs, and a few others. All that should get you right around 3000lbs or less. Losing 250lbs off your cars weight is like adding 30rwhp. Most of that is coming off the front end mind you which is great for weight transfer.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:20 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

when i said take the audio stuff out i meant the huge heavy rear deck that weighs like 100 pounds! you can replace that big stupid thing with 2 better speakers for like 150 bucks that weigh about a total of 5 pounds! lol...i have a full stereo with sub in my car, id never take the audio stuff completely out, i replaced with better!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkShadow04
when i said take the audio stuff out i meant the huge heavy rear deck that weighs like 100 pounds! you can replace that big stupid thing with 2 better speakers for like 150 bucks that weigh about a total of 5 pounds! lol...i have a full stereo with sub in my car, id never take the audio stuff completely out, i replaced with better!
What'd you replace those rear speakers with?

Quick Reply: hidden power questions