4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What the F*** is wrong with my tire? Pics..

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:16 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Default What the F*** is wrong with my tire? Pics..

Today i was looking at my car and i noticed that the outter edge of my rear right tire is chewed up beyond belief... WTF is going on?

The only thing i can think of is that when i go into steep driveways, i go in sideways, which would make one of my rear tires tuck up and the other go down... Therefore, the one tire might be hitting the fender, causing the tire to rub?

I am going to try to roll my fenders with a heat gun and a rubber mallet tomorrow with 98redstang... Good idea or bad... Honestly, anything is better then what i have now bc if that tire rubs again, ill be out $200 and ill be buying a new tire. (The rears only have like 5k on them... lots of life left...)

Judging by the pics and what i can see, the tire still appears to be fine... Should i be in any way worried about the damage that has been done to the tire?

This is the worst of it... Not crazy deep, but deep enough to **** me off

It's got a line like this around the whole tire... Not very deep.. maybe a few millimeters

This part of the tire looks good... About 80% of the tire has a thin cut through it that is a couple mm deep.. The part that is literally torn off the tire is only like 15% of the tire (or so it seems)

And this is how high the car sits. So it's really pissin me off that the tire is rubbing like this. Unless the tire is defected. Which it might be, but im willing to bet that that's what tire on the fender looks like...

Still driveable guys? Am i rubbing? Can i use a rubber mallet and smashed the edge of the fender to fix this issue? Do i need a new tire?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:38 PM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

it's rubbing on the wheel well, mine did the same thing. if your going to roll the fender use a wooden baseball bat. i thought i saw a write up somewhere on how to do it.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:41 PM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

correction i saw the baseball bat trick in a mustang magazine. pretty easy to do just heat the paint with a hairdryer and use the tire as a brace for the "wooden" bat and roll the fender under
Old 04-02-2010, 06:47 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Yeah i think sxynerd said something about that method once...But he said to slowly drive the car as someone holds the bat or something.. SOUNDS DANGEROUS!!!

That's a good idea though. I can try that...

So far baseball bat (wooden) or rubber hammer.

Thanks. I figured i was rubbing.. bullsh*t if u ask me
Old 04-02-2010, 06:49 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

i'd drive on those tires. the damage doesnt appear to be any deeper than the treads, so the integrity of the tire doesn't look comprimised just roughed up the treads a little. i would definately be keeping an eye on it doing a quick check say once a week to make sure the damage doesn't get to a point where the tire looks like its splitting or anything.

1) can you see any rub marks on the inside of your fenders anywhere? damage like that would definately leave some evidence wherever it was hitting.

2) also, you have those bricks lining your driveway, you aren't rubbing or running over those pulling in/out of the driveway are you?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Epinephrine186
2nd Gear Member

yep same thing happens to my tires. Mines actualy quite a bit deeper and more roughed than that. But still hasnt messed with the integrity of the tire or anything. They are good to drive on, ive put like 10000 miles on mine without any probs (probably not the best idea in my case). Would someone go into more detail about rolling the fenders, and if someone has already done it, would they mind to terribly much posting pictures. Sounds like it could help quite a few of us out.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:20 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

i agree. i might have to roll my fenders cause i just did the HR SS drop and got 18 inch saleens. i took the isos out too so its really low.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:18 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

The inside of the fender was hard to see.. I ran my finger along the inside of the sharp edge of the fender and my finger came out a little black.. It was definitely rubber bc i just washed my car and there shouldn't have been anything there.. So the tire rubbed when i pulled into my friends steep driveway

I have NEVER ridden over or even touched a curb/bricks with these wheels/tires so that isn't the problem.. It's gotta be when i go into steep driveways on a slant...

I feel better now that you guys have said that your tires are worse and you still drive on them lol... I am going to use a rubber hammer and just go at it tomorrow...
Old 04-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

rent a fender roller, it costs like 30 bucks and is guaranteed not to fubar your wheel well unlike baseball bat.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Mine did the same thing when I had wheel spacers in. I ended up just taking them out.

Quick Reply: What the F*** is wrong with my tire? Pics..