4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Where did you get them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

google search retrosolutions...best HID brand period, ive had them in my car for about 2 years now and they still look like the day i put them in. i have 8000k hi/lo 55w headlights and 8000k 55w fogs.... i can drive on the highway with just the fogs on and they still light up highway signs, ONE AHEAD! they are insanely bright and do no blind anyone (have to redirect headlight down a little). digital ballast and lifetime warranty that they stand by...read statistics about them, i will never buy another HID kit again, ever...reccommend them to all of my friends and anyone that got them agrees with me.. not the cheapest kit but worth every penny, check em out...plug n play install, never a single problem...u need to read about them to understand...i can talk for an hour about these HIDs lol...i did so much research before buying them and these are THE ones..i promise
Old 04-29-2010, 02:37 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

There are no such things as "the best HID's" IMO. My buddy spent $350 on a set of HID's. They blew out in a couple months and he wasted all that money. My $40 set was just as easy to plug in as his and it's actually brighter... So more money doesn't mean better. At least not for HID's.

DDM comes with a lifetime warranty. And there are plenty of good reviews from buyers...

A 55w 6000k will look like a 35w 5000k...

I can't tell you which wattage to get. I have 35W and i dont have a problem. It would have been nice to get the 55W to see more, but i think i would blind a lot of people. However, if i had to do it again, i would go 55w in the heads and 35w in the fogs...
Old 04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkShadow04
google search retrosolutions...best HID brand period, ive had them in my car for about 2 years now and they still look like the day i put them in. i have 8000k hi/lo 55w headlights and 8000k 55w fogs.... i can drive on the highway with just the fogs on and they still light up highway signs, ONE AHEAD! they are insanely bright and do no blind anyone (have to redirect headlight down a little). digital ballast and lifetime warranty that they stand by...read statistics about them, i will never buy another HID kit again, ever...reccommend them to all of my friends and anyone that got them agrees with me.. not the cheapest kit but worth every penny, check em out...plug n play install, never a single problem...u need to read about them to understand...i can talk for an hour about these HIDs lol...i did so much research before buying them and these are THE ones..i promise

YEP, I have the "NightVision" 35W 6000K model since it was cheaper, I think $80 shipped and have never had any problems. I got the HID lowbeam and halogen high beam, but had to switch the leads in the HID plug since my highs and lows were reversed when I got them (no biggie, took 5 min to do, just swapped the prongs in the plug) then they installed in 30min plug and play.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

retrosolutions is not expensive..they are average priced...mine were like 150 per set when i bought em, sumtin like that..and have a lifetime warranty that they stand by, but they really dont even need it...google search the brand and read up, there were such a small percentage of failure and burnt out bulbs it was insane, and people had been running the kits for several years, i had this argument on another forum about how great they are and everyone wanted to stay loyal to their under $100 brands saying they dont mind changing the bulbs every once in a while or watever..retrosultions is worth every penny and thats my only real comment, nething else u wanna know google search them to learn more...i just dont wanna waste my time reading through to give all the statistics if nobody has an interest, so i advise a google search here, lol..i love em but i dont work for em, therefore i am too lazy to do it for everbody lol
Old 04-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

retrosolutions is not expensive..they are average priced...mine were like 150 per set when i bought em, sumtin like that..and have a lifetime warranty that they stand by, but they really dont even need it...google search the brand and read up, there were such a small percentage of failure and burnt out bulbs it was insane, and people had been running the kits for several years, i had this argument on another forum about how great they are and everyone wanted to stay loyal to their under $100 brands saying they dont mind changing the bulbs every once in a while or watever..retrosultions is worth every penny and thats my only real comment, nething else u wanna know google search them to learn more...i just dont wanna waste my time reading through to give all the statistics if nobody has an interest, so i advise a google search here, lol..i love em but i dont work for em, therefore i am too lazy to do it for everbody lol
150 is too much for HID's when DDMTuning is going to give them to me for under 50. Not doubting your skittles... I'm sure the ones you have are excellent, too expensive for me though... I'm a cheap a**.

880 for the foglights? Aren't we 893?

Do the 6000K 55W's have a little blue to them? I want that little touch of blue then maybe darker blue for fogs.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:14 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

$150 is averaged price??!!? Tell me what you do for a job so i can consider $150 HID's average priced...

Take it from me or don't. Me and a bunch of guys in town literally bought 20+ sets from DDM to install in a bunch of different cars... I dont think there was a problem with any of them and nobody has a complaint so far. It's been 2+ years.... They are bright, come with a LIFETIME WARRANTY, and are reliable thus far. I am not telling you to buy DDM, but for 1/3 of the price of other sites, i would strongly consider.. If 20+ HID sets isn't proof enough for you, then spend the extra. It's all the same sh*t

8000k 55W SHOULD look like 6000k 35W...
Fog Lights should be all of the following: 880, 881, 893, 899
Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

im not doubting the DDM kit, i know nothing about it...if u all use it and like it then it must be alright or u wouldnt all be using them, lol...under 50 bucks id prolly consider a kit too, if they last a year itd prolly be worth it...he just asked about different brands, i know about 150 for a hi/lo kit isnt particularly expensive, but if u guys r getting good kits as cheap as ur saying and they are legit then go for it...im still gonna stick with my, wat appears to be overpriced, kit lol...just offering so different options for him
Old 04-29-2010, 11:15 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

touche'
Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

im just passionate about my HIDs haha
Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

im just passionate about my HIDs haha
Sweet, one of my stock foglight bulbs blew out (I think). Or maybe a connection is loose. When I go home, I have to check it out. I want to get a different color for fogs...