4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Many questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Many questions

1. Why do many mustangs (including mine) "click" when you let off the gas at low speeds in 1st gear, then press the gas again?

2. Do all 99-04 Mustangs have the gas pedal extremely close to the floor? What is a good way of getting this pedal to stay ALL the way up? I have put plastic piping in there thousands of times.

3. How can I freshen up my windshield? It is hazy, swirled, and chipped. How much do places usually charge for this type of thing to be done? Can I throw a rock at my windshield and call my insurance crying gravel truck?

4. My car has 65,000 miles on it. Is my manifold going to crack?

5. Are there other problems that are widespread that happen at this mileage level?

6. Why, whenever I come to low speeds, I'm not even pressing the brakes, does my wheel well chirp like squealing brakes? I think it's the brakes, but the pads have plenty of life on them...

7. Whenever I back up out of a packing space and cut the wheel, a LOUD screech squeak like sound comes from somewhere up front... possibly the wheel well. Is this possibly power steering related?

8. Is the SCT Tuner that tunes a stock car to 93 octane really worth it? Does it really add 22-30hp?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:09 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

OK, I'll bite...

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
1. Why do many mustangs (including mine) "click" when you let off the gas at low speeds in 1st gear, then press the gas again?
Because it's basically a 1/2 ton pickup with a flashy body. RWD, relative high torque drive trains do this--you need to learn to feather and dis-engage the clutch at low speeds.

2. Do all 99-04 Mustangs have the gas pedal extremely close to the floor? What is a good way of getting this pedal to stay ALL the way up? I have put plastic piping in there thousands of times.
Yes, that's the way American cars did it in the old days and fortunately the Mustang has continued that and some other traditions. It is a bit low, something more robust than "plastic piping" as a spacer would no doubt work better...

3. How can I freshen up my windshield? It is hazy, swirled, and chipped. How much do places usually charge for this type of thing to be done?
Call one and find out...

Can I throw a rock at my windshield and call my insurance crying gravel truck?
Yes--if insurance fraud, absence of personal ethics, and immorality are of no concern to you.

Probably, it's a nearly 11-year old vehicle--almost anything might break at any time...

5. Are there other problems that are widespread that happen at this mileage level?
See above...

6. Why, whenever I come to low speeds, I'm not even pressing the brakes, does my wheel well chirp like squealing brakes? I think it's the brakes, but the pads have plenty of life on them...
Over time the anti-squeal shims harden and dry out--pull the pads, clean the backing plates with brake cleaner, and spray them with rattle-can anti-squeal stuff on re-assembly...

7. Whenever I back up out of a packing space and cut the wheel, a LOUD screech squeak like sound comes from somewhere up front... possibly the wheel well. Is this possibly power steering related?
You likely have a nearly 11-year old serpentine belt, in your nearly 11-year old car, that is beyond the limit of it's service life--replace it. Use a GoodYear Gatorback, or Dayco Poly-Cog; avoid Gates or worse yet Kelley-Springfield (gak!)...

8. Is the SCT Tuner that tunes a stock car to 93 octane really worth it? Does it really add 22-30hp?
No, on an otherwise stock vehicle it will add 5-7HP peak and a like amount, maybe even a bit more, in the mid-range--which will actually be much more noticable and make the car more fun to drive.

Last edited by cliffyk; 05-07-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:04 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

now cliffy, being a florida resident, im sure youve been jerked around by insurance companies once or twice, at least, in your lifetime over flooding or other nature-related incidents. i would call this minor rock-at-winshield scheme "fair play"... that being said, i would hardly call it fraud, being that he will still probably hafta pay a $50 or more deductible to get it fixed.

as far as your intake manifold, if thats what youre referring to, its more than capable of handling over 350 rwhp. now as far as age and constant abuse/heat is concerned, plastic will crack over time. however being that you only have 65k, i doubt itll crack anytime soon

now, as far as a "fix" for your accelerator pedal, there is a link on this forum i will share with you. however, if you take out too much slack from the throttle cable to the pedal, you will regret it. it will be very hard to maintain rpm's unless you have an extremely steady foot, which most people do not. your pedal will be overly sensitive and first gear will be a hassle. that being said, heres the link: https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1...tment-fix.html
Old 05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
04orngegt
1st Gear Member

Just buy a new windsheild if its that bad they dont cost that much.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:46 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by trailor
now cliffy, being a florida resident, im sure youve been jerked around by insurance companies once or twice, at least, in your lifetime over flooding or other nature-related incidents. i would call this minor rock-at-winshield scheme "fair play"... that being said, i would hardly call it fraud, being that he will still probably hafta pay a $50 or more deductible to get it fixed.<snip>
Actually, in 45+ years of adulthood I have had only one or two "go rounds" with insurance companies of any sort--I've had my share of claims but never any real problems.

Deliberately damaging insured property to collect reimbursement is insurance fraud by definition. One could justify it to themselves however they like, but that doesn't change what it is. As fraud is inherently unethical and immoral, both of which are like "pregnant" in there no such thing as "just a little bit", then the perpetrator becomes unethical and immoral; by definition.

Once you know someones cheats lies they can never be trusted again, which is part of why I am on my second wife...

I bet the jerkwipes that took down the Trade Centers had the whole thing ehtically and morally justified in there itty-bitty brains too...

back to the OPs concern about his windscreen, most insurers do not require that it be broken of badly cracked, simply not being able to see through it well will motivate them to pay for replacement.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:33 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange

3. How can I freshen up my windshield? It is hazy, swirled, and chipped. How much do places usually charge for this type of thing to be done? Can I throw a rock at my windshield and call my insurance crying gravel truck?

Squeak or clunk? I ask because If I back out of a spot with my wheel turned all the way right or left (all the way) and start to reverse, I will go a few feet, and then will hear this "clunk" sound that almost feels/sounds like it comes from the passenger wheel well. Sound almost like its turning over on something. Any ideas on that?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Thanks Cliffy, I understand. I'm an ethical person believe it or not, and I would actually have a really tough time frauding the insurance company.

Yeah, when I pull out into sunlight, I can't even see actually. The other week I almost went off the road. You think taht they will fix it for free?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
Squeak or clunk? I ask because If I back out of a spot with my wheel turned all the way right or left (all the way) and start to reverse, I will go a few feet, and then will hear this "clunk" sound that almost feels/sounds like it comes from the passenger wheel well. Sound almost like its turning over on something. Any ideas on that?
NOBODY can seem to figure out what that clunk is. It only happens at low speeds, even with the police crown vics. I will come to a stop, then THUMP, from underneath the passenger's feet area. I don't know what it is, and nobody does apparently.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Just get a new windshield. You could probably have one installed for under $200. And the thing to remember about insurance companies is that once you call upon their "services" they raise your rates (which is likely gonna cost more than the price of a new windshield over the life of a policy) because now you are statistically more likely to cost them money again in the future (they only like to take money, not spend it). And I'm not trying to advocate doing anything immoral, illegal, or dishonest, but, if you're gonna try to pull one over on your insurance company I suggest that you go big and just have your car become stolen and found burnt to a crisp two states away (or not found is good, too).

Seriously, don't do that, I'm only kidding.