4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Default paint

I'm fed up with how my paint is, I bought my car knowing that it would need to be done. I've put up with it but now I'm just irritated by it, there are so many door dings and the hood scoop is looking worse by the week. It would appear that the previous owner parked under a tree and the sap just sat on the hood scoop. I'm tossing the idea around to just get a maaco paint job. I have a friend that could get a paint job that is considered their "top of the line" for pretty cheap. I think around 600$ for their best paint job. Now I understand that you get what you pay for, but I want it done! Discuss.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:32 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

EHHHH... I have heard that it all depends on the maaco you go to. Some places are good, others suck. As long as the prep-work is done correctly, i think it would turn out pretty good.. Do they warranty those paint jobs?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

I dunno if they do a warranty. I think I'll google the shop that I would go to and read any reviews if I can find some. There is just soo much that annoys the %^&$ outta me.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:36 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

My car is by no means perfect. I just suck it up by saying "it's a 9 year old car..."

It does suck though. Reading the reviews is a great idea...
Old 05-09-2010, 11:53 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

My problem is I have ocd and add, well not literally but I can't keep my mind set on a mod. I always flip flop, I'm sure I'll gripe about some other bs next week lol
Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

How about this...if you have any friends in the car business, talk to them and see who they have that they typically use to moon-light painting for them. Some guy from one of the local body shops was gonna repaint my whole car with factory color, pull everything off the car, and put everything back in the car for $2k. Not a bad price...and might end up getting done next year...maybe with some custom paint work done. But look into getting a moon-lighter from a local body shop to do it first. I would never do a Maaco paint job. I mean they did a thing about a year ago where they did a custom paint job on a saleen and i think it was gonna be a paint job that was gonna be offered to the public, but i still wouldnt trust it.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by teej281
How about this...if you have any friends in the car business, talk to them and see who they have that they typically use to moon-light painting for them. Some guy from one of the local body shops was gonna repaint my whole car with factory color, pull everything off the car, and put everything back in the car for $2k. Not a bad price...and might end up getting done next year...maybe with some custom paint work done. But look into getting a moon-lighter from a local body shop to do it first. I would never do a Maaco paint job. I mean they did a thing about a year ago where they did a custom paint job on a saleen and i think it was gonna be a paint job that was gonna be offered to the public, but i still wouldnt trust it.
I like TJ's thinking here, but if I may (2cents for what its worth). Have you ever thought about going w/ the highland green along w/ the Bullit Black? Meaning have it start out green and by the rear its faded black?? Im really not even sure how that'd look to be quite honest. Just kinda thought of it while typed this out. hmmmm idk hahaha
Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Maaco is a complete waste of money, it won't last 6 months. Get crazy and do the prep work yourself, that is where all of the expense is and also where the quality is.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

ive seen a maaco job where they painted over rubber trim and side reflectors on a tbird. f*ck maaco
Old 05-10-2010, 12:18 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like maaco is out of the question. I think I'll just save up money and when the time is right, I'll get a good real paint job.

Quick Reply: paint