4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 PM
cliber

Unhappy HELP

Hey everyone. I have a 1998 GT Convertible. Everything was stock when i bought it. I then bought 2 40 series flowmaster mufflers and a bbk o/r X-pipe. Ever since then, CHECK ENGINE light is on. The car runs terribly rich, it boggs down and does not idle properly when warm. Also, the exhaust is loud, but it sounds terrible over 3k RPMS. All resignation and rattle. I dont know what to do. Any suggestions or for certain answers as to why and how to fix..please let me know!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Red__03GT
1st Gear Member

do you have o2 sensors hooked up?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:21 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

+1

Did you get the top 02s plugged in correctly? And did you install eliminators on the rear 02 sensors? If not then there is your code....when you remove the cats you have to trick the PCM to thinking they are still there and reading correctly. This wont cause your driveability issue, but it will make your car smell "pig rich" all the time.

I had a bbk or X on my 98 C, and it sounded nice and raspy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aej7dIUZOxU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6tIMLys3NU
Old 06-09-2010, 05:05 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Go to your FLAPS and have the codes read--write down the codes, they are much more important that whatever the parts store guy tells you they mean. Once you get the codes look them up here to fond out more.

As WhiteFox said, bad or improperly connected front O2 sensors would make it run rich, the o/r pipe will make the PCM throw a code--triggered by the rear O2 sensors and lack of catalytic converters...
Old 06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
cliber

thanks to all of you..had the codes checked out and turns out i had a bad o2 sensor..problem solved!