4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

new 3:90 gear making noise in a 03 stang,should it?

Old 06-13-2010, 03:43 PM
1fastang

Default new 3:90 gear making noise in a 03 stang,should it?

I have a 03 stang and just had a 3:90 motive gear put in. the guy said it would be noisey for a while and to put some miles on it. well , I have got 100 miles
on it and it seems louder now than when I got it back. I babied it for most of
the time , then kicked it and it didnt make it any better or worse. it seems to making noise backing down now too and it didnt before.. I run 100 shot of
nos on this and am thinking I better take it back before I do that. after driving it for 25 miles I tried to touch the rear housing and it was hot, should it be??
thanks for any help !!!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Explosive

How hot is the housing ? They do get pretty warm sometimes.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

My 4.10's were quiet from the get go. He ran it on the lift for a little while to break them in a little, and test drove it a couple miles to make sure all was well. I do have a light gear whine on deceleration, but not very loud at all and in 3 years of having them in it has not changed in pitch or volume. I would take your car back to the dude who installed them and ask him to take a look just to make sure it's set up right and isn't wearing improperly. Some people also will say that Motives are just noisy gears (I've heard statements to the contrary as well, though).
Old 06-13-2010, 04:30 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

You shouldnt hear any noise from the gears. Take the car back to the shop and get everything remeasured.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:28 PM
1fastang

Originally Posted by Explosive
How hot is the housing ? They do get pretty warm sometimes.
it was hot enough to not be able to hold my hand on for more than a second.
even the axle housings are hot. it just doesnt seem right.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:40 PM
1fastang

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
My 4.10's were quiet from the get go. He ran it on the lift for a little while to break them in a little, and test drove it a couple miles to make sure all was well. I do have a light gear whine on deceleration, but not very loud at all and in 3 years of having them in it has not changed in pitch or volume. I would take your car back to the dude who installed them and ask him to take a look just to make sure it's set up right and isn't wearing improperly. Some people also will say that Motives are just noisy gears (I've heard statements to the contrary as well, though).
he did drive the car 7 miles ,what he did with it I dont know? it was the mgr
of the shop that test drove it and said these mustangs make it sound loud.
I have heard this about motive gears ,but the shop said nothing about this.
he said they would quiet up and they havent. so, you are right in taking it back.
I should of went with the ford motorsport 4.10 , but was afraid I wouldnt be able to run through the 1/4 mile at the track. have you had yours to the track??
what mph is your 4th gear at 6 grand?? I went 111.50 with the stock gear with 275/40/17's mickey dragradials
Old 06-13-2010, 05:54 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I have those same gears, and they do whine a little bit. I've had them for over 3 years now, and haven't had any problems.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 PM
1fastang

just took my brother for a ride and he's heard alot louder, said to take it back and have the
shop listen to it and get an OK from them before I put the bottle back on. let ya know the outcome. thanks to all for the info
Old 06-13-2010, 07:57 PM
timthegreat1
2nd Gear Member

My 4.10s whine pretty loud on deceleration. It was worse me and my friend who Installed them took it apart took a look at it changes the shims a bit. But it still whines doesn't seem to be a problem to me. If anyone here knows is it real bad to have a whine thats somewhat loud?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:16 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
You shouldnt hear any noise from the gears. Take the car back to the shop and get everything remeasured.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new 3:90 gear making noise in a 03 stang,should it?