4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Hypertech - POSWOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Jordo04

Default Hypertech - POSWOT

POSWOT = Piece of ****. Waste of Time.

After reading about Hypertech's Max Energy in MM&FF, I decided it was the obvious next step for my '04 Mustang GT.

I had read negative reviews of Hypertech, but most of them were from people who couldn't spell and would endorse Diaplo Preditor instead. I figured these guys were morons and bought the econ which included a free upgrade to the Max Energy program.

It seemed perfect for my daily driver specifically because it was a canned tune and I was just looking for more Oooomph without necessarily tuning the car for any specific purpose.

So I installed it and ran it in my car for about a week before I uninstalled it, and returned it for a refund.

Yes, it did make the car feel more powerful. The engine had a heartier rev to it and I could feel the difference at the rear tires--it reminded me of an E500 Benz I used to drive.

Then I drove it up the grade to Newberry Park from Ventura on the CA101. The car had no trouble at all tackling the hill, but it pinged like a **** and I was running 91.

That's when I decided to remove the Hypertech program and return it without any further thought.

It just seemed like a waste of time to try any of the solutions I could easily find online.

I could do things like: clean the MAF, install a cooler thermostat, run different plug wires and plugs, pour in some octane booster, etc.

I could do all of these things and still find myself with a pinging pony running lean.

So, my advice to anyone considering a Hypertech for their daily driving Stang Banger is to save the money and spend it elsewhere.

Things to do instead:

- killer set of tires

- cold air intake

- exhaust

Since uninstalling the Hypertech, I cruised through some twisty hills nearby. Car felt great. And it felt even better that I had squashed the urge to "improve" it further.

Now I only need to resist the desire to lower it...
Old 06-29-2010, 01:48 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

get a custom bama tune through AM for the SCT tuner. Bama tunes seem to be the sh*t around here.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Red__03GT
1st Gear Member

definitely listen to budders.. Bama is still a canned tune, but its an awesome canned tune. Besides a dyno tune i would go no other way.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:30 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red__03GT
definitely listen to budders.. Bama is still a canned tune, but its an awesome canned tune. Besides a dyno tune i would go no other way.
yep, best canned tune around. im pretty sure 400 bucks would get you some dyno time, not sure how refined they would get your tune in the time alloted. if that sounds interesting then try calling a few local speed shops and ask em what they can do for 400. and if theres anything wrong with the tune, (like pinging) then they SHOULD fix it for free.

Last edited by budders; 06-29-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Jordo04

Actually, my question for Budders is about the H&R Springs. Did you do anything else to the suspension? CC plates, bumpsteer? Or just change the springs?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:19 AM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jordo04
Actually, my question for Budders is about the H&R Springs. Did you do anything else to the suspension? CC plates, bumpsteer? Or just change the springs?
Just the H&R SS springs and i took out the ISOs so that adds about another quarter inch to half inch. so thats about a 2" drop right there. and yes, i do have CC plates.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by budders
get a custom bama tune through AM for the SCT tuner. Bama tunes seem to be the sh*t around here.
Actually, if you want to make a road trip out of it...I drove from ohio to alabama and had doug dyno tune my supercharged ranger for me(I already had his canned tune) and i picked up a good bit more power. In an Automatic 4wd ranger with a stock six I was at 241hp/240 tq at the wheels...not too shabby if you ask me. And the bonus???? He tuned it for a whopping 100$ !!!!!

Ya, Doug's a good dude for sure...He's got a sexy S197 Roush too...only downside is it's an auto...gay. lol.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:01 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

If you used purple ice in conjunction with that Hypertech tune....my $$ is on that it would have been spot on....
Old 06-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Jordo04

Hypertech does not recommend using their product with a CAI.

Leaving it alone for now...
Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

How much did you pay for it?

Quick Reply: Hypertech - POSWOT