4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 PM
HMIC

Default Help!

This will most likely cause some smiles, and head shaking, but here it goes... I was just reading about problems with the abs and trac lights going on, and the possibility of needing a new module. My question is, would it be ok to run the car without replacing the module?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I do every time my car leaves the garage, for 4 years now. Your brakes will lock up if you press the pedal hard enough, just like an older non-abs equipped car. Also, your traction control obviously will be disabled, too. If you're interested in getting it fixed, you're pretty much stuck taking it to a shop to have it scanned and diagnosed.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 AM
HMIC

Thanks! Being a single woman makes me THE perfect target for shady mechanics!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:43 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HMIC
Thanks! Being a single woman makes me THE perfect target for shady mechanics!
First off, Welcome to the forum! And while I agree with that statement, you have the upper hand *big time* because on this forum, there are some of the most knowledgeable mechanics and resources available on these cars. My advice - get it checked out and diagnosed and make it clear to the mechanic that you are only looking to find out what is wrong, and get that mechanics suggestion as to what he needs to do to fix it....then come back on here and re-open this thread and ask for the advice of the members of this forum! Many of the guys here could take these cars apart and put them back together blindfolded...My .02, best of luck!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:08 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well if youre lucky, you can go to a junk yard and find a stang with one in it and the guy at the gate wont even know what it is and charge ya little to nothing for it and then you just have to have it installed but that module new is freakin expensive. Mine went out a year and a half ago and i got one off a wrecked stang for $200 and had my buddy install it for me for free. So you just gotta look around.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Or you can say screw it and disconnect the lights so you won't notice it....I mean, who uses Traction Control on these cars anyway!!??
Old 06-30-2010, 11:52 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

um...no comment. lol only in the snow and rain.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 AM
HMIC

Thank you all for your help! I will do as you suggested. I'm due for my 100,000 tune up, so I'll just throw in the diagnosis, and get back to you! The junk yard suggestion is appreciated as well. I have a 36 mi one way commute on a highway that's seen better days, and its beating up my poor Stang! Need to find me a hooptie!! Can driving over lots of crappy road throw your alignment off?
Old 07-01-2010, 01:09 AM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Well if youre lucky, you can go to a junk yard and find a stang with one in it and the guy at the gate wont even know what it is and charge ya little to nothing for it and then you just have to have it installed but that module new is freakin expensive. Mine went out a year and a half ago and i got one off a wrecked stang for $200 and had my buddy install it for me for free. So you just gotta look around.
wow that was pretty smart teej.