4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

CAI Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Default CAI Question

I just bought a 98GT with 76K on it.The car has a stock motor except for a K&N air filter.I was thinking about getting a CAI for it.If I put one on do I need to buy a tuner as well? If I just bolt one on will I feel a difference without doing anything else? Do I need to get a bigger TB or another MAF to get the most out of it as well?I am very inexperianced with all of this so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Default Ready to pull the trigger and buy one

Does anyone have any advice at all?I'm getting ready to buy one, just wanted to know more info before I purchase one.Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

1) you dont need a tuner, you will see a little gain by loading a 93 tune and using premium gas, but a CAI itself does not require a tuner on these cars

2) you dont even need a CAI, your K+N filter with the air snorkel removed adds just as much hp as your K+N filter did. 2v mustangs suck for boltons

3) you will not notice ANY difference other than the weight reduction in your wallet

4) a bigger TB+plenum will give you a little better throttle response and a couple horsepower, and would be money better spent than on a new intake. so forget the CAI, buy the TB+plenum if you need some boltons.

5) only reason to buy an intake is for a little "show" under the hood
Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

You should feel a little, but only a little. I have one on my car and am happy with it, but the general consensus around here most people say don't waste your money on it. And no, you won't need a tuner, tb or maf to go with it (although tb and upper plenum will benefit a little). Handheld tuner is a good thing to have around, though; maybe look into getting one down the road sometime. For your car, the biggest restriction as far as airflow is concerned is your factory heads/cams/intake. If you really wanna wake her up (and you'll pretty much need to do this if you have any halfway serious plans for the car)then do a PI swap.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Default Checked the filter today

I've only owned my car for a week so I checked the K&N air filter today.I found it was totally dry.In fact it looked like it had never been oiled at all.So I washed it in warm soapy water,rinsed it out,and left it dry.Fortunately I had a can of K&N oil that I used for my F150,so I sprayed the filter down.Now I am letting it dry some before I put it back in.Hopefully the filter has'nt been in very long.When I bought the filter for my truck I think the box specifically said "Must oil filter".I don't know how they missed that unless it is not on their boxes anymore.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Default thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice everyone.My car seems like it is pretty quick to me but a few more ponies under the hood can never hurt.What size TB do you folks recommend and any particular brand?Does the plenum come in different sizes as well?What else can I do to wake her up a little.Not exactly sure what has been done to the exhaust but my buddy/mechanic thinks the cats have been " punched" out.We have not looked under the car yet.I know very little about all this but would like to learn some.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

You wont feel anything from it... the K&N filter you have is already about as good as it gets.

for your car do full exhaust and a tune for the best hp gains without a pi swap...

n before you ask what a pi swap is.. google it lol its a long read.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Size of throttle body depends on future plans with the car. If you are planning on staying N/A (Naturally Aspirated) then I would suggest a 70mm throttle body & Plenum.

if you are planning on going with a supercharger in the future...(such as vortech or procharger) I would suggest a 75mm throttle body & Plenum.

When modding your stang, you first need to determine your budget that you are willing to put into it, and future goals. If you are planning on making a quick daily driver that can smoke the hell out of the tires and be a fun car around town, I would suggest 4.10s, offroad midpipe (X or H), short throw shifter (steeda tri-ax or MGW) and a tuner. That should be a good start. So before anything, budget and future build plans/goals. Money talks!!!

Also, a member you might find value in sending a PM to is KUGZGT. He also has a 98 and has since built it up and has a pretty sick setup. AND +1 with the meatball's comment above me. Google PI swap. lol

Last edited by PurpleIcedGT; 07-20-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:28 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Default Just something fun to drive

I am looking to use my stang as a weekend cruiser and/or show car(nothing too radical),but I still want to be able to smoke the tires some.I wanna be able to take my friends for a ride and have them say holy s##t.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Default Gonna do a PI swap

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
You should feel a little, but only a little. I have one on my car and am happy with it, but the general consensus around here most people say don't waste your money on it. And no, you won't need a tuner, tb or maf to go with it (although tb and upper plenum will benefit a little). Handheld tuner is a good thing to have around, though; maybe look into getting one down the road sometime. For your car, the biggest restriction as far as airflow is concerned is your factory heads/cams/intake. If you really wanna wake her up (and you'll pretty much need to do this if you have any halfway serious plans for the car)then do a PI swap.
I have decided to take Z28KLR"s advice and do a PI swap.I found good heads and cams for $150 if the guy still has them.Found intakes for $200,are the plastic ones ok or should I steer clear of them?Am I correct that these are my most expensive parts.What is an average price(if there is one)to do a swap?Haven't told my wife yet so let's keep this a secret for now.

Quick Reply: CAI Question