4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Always check the small things.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Default Always check the small things.

Never assume someone else is right.... As some of you know, I was told my manifold was cracked near the thermostat - which is still possible although it was never wet or leaking from that area of the manifold. So I replace it with one of the new designs (aluminum crossovers). Go test it out and lose all my coolant. Today I take everything off again and look at the gasket and see its torn/ripped/blown however you want to say. Had I just looked at that before throwing the new manifold on (because I was told by the guy who sold me the manifold that my stock gaskets would be fine to reuse) I would have saved a lot of trouble. I absolutely should have looked at the gaskets anyway, but it just goes to show ya, never assume anything and always check the little things, haha.

Anyway, my car is now in the garage, torn apart, on jack stands. Waiting for my new alternator bracket to come, and now some new gaskets that I have to get. I figure I might take this chance to do some cleaning in the bay, maybe some maintenance, probably paint the valve covers.... We'll see.

Hope everyone else is modding and not fixing at this point haha!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:42 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Dude rule #1 to leaking coolant around the manifold is check the gaskets. I got burnt on my buddys car.... leakin right at the t-stat... Tore it apart, saw the gasket looked iffy, gave a a new set i had layin around, and aday later it was leaking in the same spot. Turned out the little rubber gasket between the aluminum cross over and plastic part of the intake (on the new design intake btw) was blown out and we had to replace the intake... cant buy that lil rubber guy anymore
Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Rule #0 is ALWAYS use new gaskets--on anything, anywhere on an 11-year old car...
Old 08-05-2010, 05:43 AM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bopiela
Never assume someone else is right.
I learned that years ago, I also learned not to assume they completed the task you told them to do. You will soon find out who and who not to trust.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:59 AM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

yeah, i know. I should have just gotten new gaskets, but I wasn't thinking through everything I guess??? Haha, I don't know. Oh well. No serious problems came from this, so I'll get a new set, do some work to the car, and hopefully get her back on the road soon!!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:07 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

LOL @ Smokey the bear advertisement at bottom of page...wtf...
Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Never ***/U/ME anything because when you do, you make an *** out of U and ME...Anyone ever hear that expression before?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

lol use it all the time
Old 08-05-2010, 07:06 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Use what? your small thing? or the expression?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhaahahahhaahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !111

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Always check the small things.