4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

upr x

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
the mac tru x-pipe is awesome. I want something similar to it which is why I think I'm going with UPR. I had a bassani x-pipe and sold it, too raspy.
i have the mac x on mine the shop didnt have any issues with the 02 connections and it sounds great. I eventually had to get some hi-flow cats welded onto it though bc of inspection next month. It does have less of a tin can sound around 2500rpm with the cats on.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

rockwell you loooove X pipes lol
Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
rockwell you loooove X pipes lol
I just love the results of test ive seen on them, and they sound a bit different. That being said the h does have a deeper better sound to it/roar. At the same time I like the sound of the x/growl.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

honestly it all just depends on your mufflers. the reason i ended up back with an H pipe (tho i love x's more) is im running flows now. they sounded like garbage from idle to about 2500rpm (daily driving) and rattled like hell when i downshifted and stuff like that. dunno why, but never did it with the H so thats what i went back to.

anything non chambered X is definately the way to go. anything chambered, i have to say H just for the cleaner sound.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:45 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I was lookin at a UPR o/r x as well. I'm having issues with connecting my top 02s with my current x-pipe. Would you say it's worth the buy?
Before my long tube setup I had the UPR off road x pipe with the stock manifolds, the x pipe was suprising great quality. I put probably about 10k miles on it and it saw two PA winters. This pas winter it went out the window for LTs but its currently installed on my buddies Kenne Bell 96 4v. When i dropped the pipe it was still new looking with no rust which was suprising considering it saw some winters. So I can contest that it is a good quality peice. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it seemed to hang alot lower to the ground than any other mid pipes I have seen which for my area sucks because the roads are all bad.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
The only thing I didn't like about it is that it seemed to hang alot lower to the ground than any other mid pipes I have seen which for my area sucks because the roads are all bad.
it does thats why i HATED it. my car already sits low, and the roads back in panama city were all old and uhhhhh whats the word. where the outsides of the lane get sunk in from the weight of cars/trucks driving on them and the middle of the lane sits up real high?

my friends used to laugh when they drove behind me because occasionally there would just be sparks showering out the back of my car because it would bottom out just driving down the road. i musta looked like a redneck.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

As far as mac exhaust goes, I'm currently removing long tubes and a mac h off a 98 gt and the headers rotted through and the h pipe fell apart. The mileage on the parts are uinknown but the car has 110k miles. But I know a local guy who had bad rusting problems with mac headers as well. But keep in mind both these cars are drivin through pennsylvania winters with a lot of road salt
Old 09-27-2010, 12:24 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
actually it really wasnt much, if any money, to swap mid pipes out thats probably why i did it so much. didnt cost any money and i couldnt ever decide on a sound. i always bought them used, and would sell mine for usually the same price or sometimes higher, or lower. so all in all, i spent MAYBE 100$ to swap mid pipes all those times. and i had free lift access so zero cost in labor.

i would have never done it if i was buying brand new pipes and throwing hte old ones in the dumpster and paying someone 100+$ to install it every time.
who the hell pays to install a midpipe? lol in the two years i've owned my car, it hasn't been to a shop once. DIY labor FTW.

yeah its a bit of a different deal with used parts. at least now you have a very good idea of what they sound like.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Before my long tube setup I had the UPR off road x pipe with the stock manifolds, the x pipe was suprising great quality. I put probably about 10k miles on it and it saw two PA winters. This pas winter it went out the window for LTs but its currently installed on my buddies Kenne Bell 96 4v. When i dropped the pipe it was still new looking with no rust which was suprising considering it saw some winters. So I can contest that it is a good quality peice. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it seemed to hang alot lower to the ground than any other mid pipes I have seen which for my area sucks because the roads are all bad.
they don't come with the welded exhaust hangers?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:47 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
who the hell pays to install a midpipe? lol in the two years i've owned my car, it hasn't been to a shop once. DIY labor FTW.

yeah its a bit of a different deal with used parts. at least now you have a very good idea of what they sound like.

You don't even drive the damn thing, why would it need to go to a shop?

Quick Reply: upr x