MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   So...I started the motor with the heads/cams (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/619944-so-i-started-the-motor-with-the-heads-cams.html)

jvog 10-11-2010 11:24 PM

So...I started the motor with the heads/cams

I have to fix some exhaust leaks and get a new pcv valve in order to get it to run right and hear the motor clearly but there is definately some noise coming from the drivers side head. I am hoping that its just the lash adjusters being really noisy since they have been dry for a few months and that it will go away. How long does it typically take for lash adjuster noise to go away?

masterofthepuppets99 10-12-2010 12:39 AM

i recently replaced all 32 (4v motor) of my lash adjusters and the sound had pretty much stopped when the engine was warm.

jvog 10-12-2010 01:39 AM

Lovely....pray for me lol

nickmckinney 10-12-2010 07:59 AM

What heads (more importantly what intake valve was used) and what cams did you install?

mustangmancp 10-12-2010 09:46 AM

Oh we're praying lol...

jvog 10-12-2010 10:20 AM

It was sxynerds old set up. And I had the cams degreed properly. They are patriot stages 2 heads with upgraded parts and cms 2.5 blower cams

mustangmancp 10-12-2010 10:26 AM

Oh ok...well then idk...id say you should be good to go..but then im not a mechanic by any means. lol

But that should be a great set up. You should probably look into a forged bottom end...cuz you're gonna be pushin a lot more power now!

SilvrStang 10-12-2010 04:05 PM

It will take few miles mine took almost like 200 until the noise went away since the cams and springs were dry fro 4 months.

jvog 10-12-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by mustangmancp (Post 7240561)
Oh ok...well then idk...id say you should be good to go..but then im not a mechanic by any means. lol

But that should be a great set up. You should probably look into a forged bottom end...cuz you're gonna be pushin a lot more power now!

Been there done that lol, bottom end is good for like 1000 hp. Teksid block, cobra crank, DSS rods and pistons.

I took it for a spin and the car is still making that kinda knock-like noise it made last time which is why I pulled the motor and got it looked at in the first place. So it must be in the trans since that is the only thing that i haven't changed. Its throwing 3 fuel related codes, one for the sending unit which is why its reading below E on the gauge. It must be stuck from sitting for so long. The other two are P0453 FTP sensor circuit and P0190 fuel rail pressure sensor so I am gonna have to fool around with those

nickmckinney 10-12-2010 06:05 PM

I will be honest in that I install new lash adjusters dry and if the motor isn't totally silent in about 3 seconds after the initial start there is a problem somewhere. Either the lash adjuster is sticking or something is clearancing itself if it takes more than few seconds for any noises to go away.