4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Getting ready for winter... known rust spots?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:08 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Default Getting ready for winter... known rust spots?

Unfortunatly yes I will be using my 2000 GT in the winter salt Are there any known rust spots I should be sure to clean and undercoat before winter? I plan on spraying the whole bottom of the car with the rubberized undercoating and want to make sure I pay particular attention to any problem areas as I'm sure I won't be able to get everything.

I already did both side drip rails and the bottom of the radiator support. Now I was going to try to protect the studs on the exhaust manifolds but they're impossible to spray and clean existing rust off. So short of replacing them with stainless studs I think I'm SOL on that, but are there any other suggestions you guys have?

TIA
Old 10-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Could also try POR-15!!! (just try to get all covered) ...Getting snow tires?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 PM
mustangted
1st Gear Member

in a couple winters it wont matter as doors fenders and frames rust from inside out.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:00 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Timspony
...Could also try POR-15!!! (just try to get all covered) ...Getting snow tires?
To much of a pain in the ***, and that stuff is really picky as to how it's applied. Also yes I'm looking for some 16's and going to run some Nokians. My dad will let me use his truck when it snows, but the tires are more for a case when I happen to get stuck in **** weather.

Originally Posted by mustangted
in a couple winters it wont matter as doors fenders and frames rust from inside out.
No way to prevent that huh? I mean I've seen frames last way longer then floor boards haha. Also doors are easily replacable with a few bolts. I'm not really trying to STOP the rust, more trying to prolong the life of the car. I don't have the time or money to completely prevent rust. But if there are some spots that are known to rot out, I'll make sure they're better protected and not just bare metal. My car's been garaged for most of it's life and never seen salt since new. Also was rarely driven in rain even. So I won't have any major rust problems anytime soon.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:48 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Solution: Move south. JK good luck with getting it ready
Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Anyone? I know there are some rusted stangs out there, there has to be common spots for rust on these things.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:59 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The biggest rust areas for 94-04 mustangs is around the sub frame rails on the underside of the trunk floor, above the gas tank. I would highley recommend to NEVER use a RUBBERIZED undercoat of any form. Anything rubberized will actually hold moisture and expediate the rusting process. Por:15 is probably the best option for you or a non-rubberized bed liner.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
The biggest rust areas for 94-04 mustangs is around the sub frame rails on the underside of the trunk floor, above the gas tank. I would highley recommend to NEVER use a RUBBERIZED undercoat of any form. Anything rubberized will actually hold moisture and expediate the rusting process. Por:15 is probably the best option for you or a non-rubberized bed liner.
So am I better off cleaning any exhisting rust, hitting it with rust converter, and just using regular spray paint?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
sonicx
speed'n

I know this won't help but rust is just part of the deal with driving a car throughtout winters.... trust me, i know from experience.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

How I used to deal with the undercarriage of my off road trucks would be to knock the rust of with a wire wheel/ sand paper. Then apply a good coat of a self-etching primer, then apply a non-rubberized roll on bedliner or a good coat of enamel rustoleum+top coat sealer.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for winter... known rust spots?