4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Pain job questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

Default Pain job questions?

Ok I want to start out by saying I know next to nothing about getting a car painted. (I know nothing about body work) As some of you know I'm over seas right now so Its kinda hard for me to do stuff with my car (Duh I know)

Anyways what are some things I need to look for to make sure the shop does good work? Also I'm wanting my badges removed along with my spoiler. Do you think it would be safe to let my wife do some of the leg work on it or wait till I get home (I'm kinda leaning on waiting myself) I'm keeping it the same black that is now. How much do you think a good paint job should run?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:06 PM
WOH HRSY
4th Gear Member

There are tons of variables for this, it really depends on what shape the body is in and how much bodywork has to be done prior to prep and paint. I would not do anything and let the shop quote you for everything first. Make sure the estimate calls for removing and installing all trim and bolt on pieces, that's the right way to do it. As for staying the same color, that will save you some money because nothing has to be edged. It also depends on labor rates, but to give you an idea I quoted a guy with a clean Mercedes 5 grand to do it right. He went somewhere that did it for half that and then came back to us for bodywork after an accident. There were ugly tape lines EVERYWHERE and it looked good from afar, but the closer you got the more you saw it was a hack job. Just pick a reputable shop and realize it could get expensive quick depending on what you want out of it, but doing a big job should give you some room to work with the price.