4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Crazy Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Default Crazy Vibrations

So the last couple weeks or so I have had noticeable steering wheel vibration. Hasn't gotten worse as of late, just goes left and right very quickly above 45mph. I have 18x9s of front and 18x10.5s in the back, so rotating is out of the question. I thought it was an alignment issue, but the guy at a shop thought it was more of a balancing issue. I have had the front tires for about 15k miles.

I guess my question is: What do you guys think it is bc I don't want to have them check it out and tell me its the ball joint or tie rods or some crazy expensive repair. Its the last thing I need after just upgrading the front brakes. Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

My guess would be needing to get the tires balanced. Typically a tie rod will cause the steering wheel to occasionally jerk to one side.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:00 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

+1. Also another thing that will do it...and hopefully you have good enough mechanical practice...check your lugs tight. I've seen someone forget to tighten them and lose all 4 wheels.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:50 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Are you sure they aren't good vibrations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s
Old 11-14-2010, 12:00 AM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, I'll check the lug buts first then go on to the other stuff. It was kinda funny when I brought it to the shop, bc just from my description and no visual of the problem, the Ford mechanic was convinced that there was no way of saving the tires. Lol he sounded as if it he thought it couldn't be fixed with just balancing and an alignment. All i got was the ole "I'll see what I can do." Stupid dealerships.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:55 AM
FOURSIXALLDAY

Originally Posted by natedog
So the last couple weeks or so I have had noticeable steering wheel vibration. Hasn't gotten worse as of late, just goes left and right very quickly above 45mph. I have 18x9s of front and 18x10.5s in the back, so rotating is out of the question. I thought it was an alignment issue, but the guy at a shop thought it was more of a balancing issue. I have had the front tires for about 15k miles.

I guess my question is: What do you guys think it is bc I don't want to have them check it out and tell me its the ball joint or tie rods or some crazy expensive repair. Its the last thing I need after just upgrading the front brakes. Thanks in advance for the help guys.
it could also be tire pressure, check your tire pressure and make sure there at the psi they sohould be.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:16 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Yep, tires are always aired up properly. I just wonder how a tire can be thrown out of balance? Except if one of the little weights fell off or something
Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sailorflavor
+1. Also another thing that will do it...and hopefully you have good enough mechanical practice...check your lugs tight. I've seen someone forget to tighten them and lose all 4 wheels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeADBRw9xCo

lolol
Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

You said you did brakes, than the vibrations started? Sounds like the wheels got moved when being put back on the car. If a tire has worn into a bad wheel bearing or worn front suspension, than moved.. it can cause a vibration.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:32 AM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Nah the vibrations started before I did brakes.

Quick Reply: Crazy Vibrations