4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

what to do

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
the 5.4 is just a stroked out 4.6. the 5.4 X valve motors make no more horsepower than their 4.6 counterparts, just more torque. if the 5.4 were to have a bigger bore, then it would be different. the 5.7 has a much larger bore than a 4.6 or 5.4 (again, both have the same bore). you cant compare apples to oranges. the 5.7 is beast, and the power it makes has nothing to do with it being a pushrod vers ohc. i would venture to say it would make the same amount of power if it were an OHC motor assuming cam profiles and such stayed the same.
What I'm trying to say is that out of the options for engines in general, pushrod engines seem to be the better choice. I'm sure someone can design an OHC motor that would be make as much power as a pushrod, but there just don't seem to be any that exist right now. OHV is just an easier, simpler and cheaper platform that works. I'm not bashing OHC, I don't have any problem with OHC.

You're saying you can't compare apples to oranges, but pushrod and OHC are apples and oranges. They're different, which is the entire purpose of discussing and debating which of the two is better and why. The only engine I can think of that has an exact OHV and OHC counterpart is the GM 3400, where they had the pushrod one that they put in everything, and then the OHC one that lasted for a few years that they'd put in Monte Carlo's and Acheiva's and ****. The OHC made more power in that case, but it was meant to, being the OHC version of that motor was the "performance" model where as the OHV they put in Lumina's, Buicks, Oldsmobiles, etc...

Last edited by Xemeth; 11-25-2010 at 06:18 PM.