4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Just got My new GEARS!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:43 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

evo's are pretty good roll cars for what they are, compared to a wrx where they suck from rolls. if the evo driver doesn't know how to launch it right then the cars useless. my buddy who has an evo VIII ran a 13.3 with exhaust work and intake. i don't consider that fast, but i guess it'd be a damn good race with the op.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:59 AM
Markus989
1st Gear Member

ok so the gears are in woo yay.....however after driving only a few miles back up 167 i turn my radio down and notice ...oh **** why are my gears whining on deceleration only in fifth gear and neautral....ugh so i called the shop back up oh BTW you need to break them in no gear banging or rough stuff for 500 miles he says...now he tells me lol. In all honestly i jumped in super stoked gave it a good little umgh from first to second and really thats it i swear lol. Its a pretty faint whine but i can definatly hear it its ONLY on decel and maybe i cant hear cuz of my exaust but it only seems to be audile in fifth gear but none other so basically 45mph and up. Scott said give it some time but from my understanding the ford racing gears are supposed to be dead quiet. Now when they pulled my pinion bearing they said it was fine to throw back in which im severly regretting but at the time we were talking like 500 bucks for the install and i flatt didnt have the doe. So anyway i didnt replace the race bearing shame on me :.( and ive developed this whine should i be as irritated and worried as i am or should i give it a hundred miles or so?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 AM
Markus989
1st Gear Member

ok so did some reading and WOW look at all the contradicting info holy jesus...Sounds like i have the lesser of evils as far as the car only whining on decel and its not that loud or even annoying just....there and bothering me lol .... possibly looking at a pinion depth problem or just a poor install but it also sounds like guys are getting this and having to just live with it even after going back to the shop time and time again to double triple check the work.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

if you paid almost 500 for the install and they're frpp gears i'd take them back. i've never heard of a break in period for gears, i'd say that's false info.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:33 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

FRPP gears do not require a break in period in these cars. Period. I have spoken with techs from Ford and from Motive. Motive claims a break in period is required, Ford does not. I have Ford gears, and they are silent. No noise at all. Ford 500$ they should have given you all new bearings, carbon discs, and te gears, plus the labor. I paid 650$ to get my gears, bearing kit, carbon discs for a cobra, full length subframes, plus the labor to put them all in. Take it back.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^^^^devon totally agree....
Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I have been told by several knowledgeable guys, from race mechanics to manufacturers, that all gears should be heat cycled a bit (broken in) before subjecting them to higher levels of stress.

Over the years I have run many brands of gear and none of them whined. It is the set-up of the gears, or lack there of, which makes them whine. Any gear will whine if not set-up properly.

It is always a good idea to replace the bearings and seals while installing gears. It costs a few bucks, but it is definitely worth it.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

Sounds pretty similar to my situation. When I bought my stang it had 4.10 that were installed incorrectly. They didn't even have a speedo-calibrator and the gears were grinding and sliding but the car would drive fine. I bought some Ford Racing 4.10 had a local shop throw them in with new bearings and seals. He also used synthetic gear oil, he did warn me of a break in period. In my opinion it makes sense to let the gears break in a little before romping on it. From what I've researched your gears develop a wear pattern so when they are freshly installed they have to be broken in. Whining on decel is completely normal, hell mine even makes a weird noise when I'm backing up sometimes. I have three other friends with stangs, two have 3.73 and one has 4.10's they all have a little whine at decel all done at different shops. Break em in a little and enjoy the new torque, if the whining is pretty loud I would recommend taking it to the shop and having them test drive it at freeway speeds and then show them the decel noise. Any good shop will fix the problem for what you paid them to do it right the first time!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

2v owners bashing modded Evo's = a hell of a wake up call when you race one lmao.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:13 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

I love my 3.73's. I still think that this is my favorite mod.

Quick Reply: Just got My new GEARS!!