4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Squeaking Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:46 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Default Squeaking Noise?

My car has had a squeaking noise since I bought it. I thought it might be the wheel bearing, and it was replaced. It kepts squeaking, so I put new rotors and pads on. The squeak is still there. I've had it around to local shops and no one knows what it is. But In the past few days, I have noticed that there is grease on the side of my car, at first i thought it might be from a grease spot in the road that i ran over. I washed the car, and the grease is back.

Is it axle grease? and What could the squeaking noise possible be?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, the wheel bearing was replaced because the local ford dealer stripped the lug. It has a whole new hub installed. It is on the front passengers side. One more thing to note, the backing on the brakes has come off twice! At first i thought it might just be a defective pad, but now I think it's the pads getting too hot, or maybe the caliper sticking? I'm at a loss as to what to try.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:23 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Which side is it? Jack it up and try to spin the wheel by hand. If the caliper is sticking it will be hard to rotate. Also, the hub has a sealed bearing no grease should be coming out. I dont want to say its common for the brake squeek...but I've heard about it a buncha times and my old Cobra had a brake squeek. Try driving it down the road and get it to squeek, lightly apply the brake and see if it changes
Old 01-17-2011, 04:38 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Which side is it? Jack it up and try to spin the wheel by hand. If the caliper is sticking it will be hard to rotate. Also, the hub has a sealed bearing no grease should be coming out. I dont want to say its common for the brake squeek...but I've heard about it a buncha times and my old Cobra had a brake squeek. Try driving it down the road and get it to squeek, lightly apply the brake and see if it changes
Ok. When driven down the road...if i gently press the brakes, the noise gets get high pitched, then goes away. But what's with the grease all over my car? And its the passenger side. I'm away at college now, I'll be back home on saturday. I'll jack it up when I get home.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Bump...
Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 PM
07RedMGT
1st Gear Member

I got something slightly similar, where I just changed my brake pads and now when I'm over 30mph I get a faint squeak and when any braking is applied it goes away.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07RedMGT
I got something slightly similar, where I just changed my brake pads and now when I'm over 30mph I get a faint squeak and when any braking is applied it goes away.
It's quite annoying. The problem is, the backing for my pads are coming off again. My guess is, my caliper is sticking. I'm gonna jack the car up tomorrow and check it. Any idea on how much a new caliper would cost?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM
terminatorcobra

im not sure but check the caliper first pull it off and have some slighty push the break and see if it move if it does push it all the way back in and try it agian and check the dust boot around the piston...there still could be something with the grease as well...is it the back or the front passenger side?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by terminatorcobra
im not sure but check the caliper first pull it off and have some slighty push the break and see if it move if it does push it all the way back in and try it agian and check the dust boot around the piston...there still could be something with the grease as well...is it the back or the front passenger side?
It's the front passenger side. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to get a better look at it tomorrow when I get home from school. What could the grease possibly be from? Seems like there IS grease coming from the front somewhere because it gets thrown up onto the side of the car.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 PM
terminatorcobra

yea but like if it was front wheel drive u would need a new half shaft but its not idk where the grease would come from...your positive its grease and not oil or something else?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 AM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by terminatorcobra
yea but like if it was front wheel drive u would need a new half shaft but its not idk where the grease would come from...your positive its grease and not oil or something else?
Yea, I'm positive it's grease. I'll get a few pics tomorrow. I'm clueless as to what's happened. Hopefully once I pull the wheel off and check everything out, all will be good. Might just be a bad caliper, which is the best case scenario as of now. It's definitely not the pads, I have had 2 new sets of pads on. I'll give you some more updates tomorrow when I pull the wheel off.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Noise?