4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New Gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 AM
SteveGT2000

Default New Gas

Ok as most of you probably know in the gas now there is 15% ethanol in it & well you lose quite a bit of gas millage out of it & you lose power too (or at least I've noticed that) & now the gov't just approved of an increase of ethanol. 20% Ethanol here sometime soon. I was wondering do you guys thought about it. or even if there's something to filter out ethanol. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

im def not qualified to answer this, but im sure cliff will have a crazy calculation with a schematic chart and possibly a CAD drawing that we can check out to understand it better lol
Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Now, call me dumb, but I always thought more ethanol = better octane.. Hence the reason using e85 in high horse applications. Now why is higher gas+ethanol a bad thing?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
SteveGT2000

It's probably better using more ethanol in things like a race car possibly because they probably have some sort of set up to use the ethanol where as a car from the 90's or anything below probably doesn't. But I really have no idea. I'm just guessing that's why.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Frankly, youre not thinking about this 100% correctly. Currently in PA, all gas stations are running an E10 blend, and just approved E15 to be used. Also, you are noticing a loss of power because your car is not correctly calibrated to run any amount of ethanol in the gas. Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline, but Ethanol is almost resistant to detonation. E85 is used in performance applications to lower chance of detonation while running high boost and high compression. However, E85 also requires about 30% more fuel to run it at any given hp level. So, all you really need to do is have your car tuned to accept the fuel that is around you. E15 is probably going to give you better power than normal non-ethanolated gasoline will, at expense of a little bit of gas mileage...but you dont worry about that because you drive a mustang, right? And the reason you're getting worse mileage now is because your o2's are sensing a lean condition and are trying to keep things safe right now. Tune it for a little more fuel and you'll notice a difference.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Frankly, youre not thinking about this 100% correctly. Currently in PA, all gas stations are running an E10 blend, and just approved E15 to be used. Also, you are noticing a loss of power because your car is not correctly calibrated to run any amount of ethanol in the gas. Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline, but Ethanol is almost resistant to detonation. E85 is used in performance applications to lower chance of detonation while running high boost and high compression. However, E85 also requires about 30% more fuel to run it at any given hp level. So, all you really need to do is have your car tuned to accept the fuel that is around you. E15 is probably going to give you better power than normal non-ethanolated gasoline will, at expense of a little bit of gas mileage...but you dont worry about that because you drive a mustang, right? And the reason you're getting worse mileage now is because your o2's are sensing a lean condition and are trying to keep things safe right now. Tune it for a little more fuel and you'll notice a difference.
can i adjust this with my sct tuner? or do i have to get a tune to take advantage of the E15
Old 02-01-2011, 04:03 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

2 ounces of 2 stroke mixing oil per 5 gallons of fuel seems to pick my mileage up a bit when using ethanol polluted gas. A top quality ashless 2 stroke oil is required however. I read about it in a gas savers forum and tried it. Torco works best
Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Now, call me dumb, but I always thought more ethanol = better octane.. Hence the reason using e85 in high horse applications. Now why is higher gas+ethanol a bad thing?
like teej said... your car needs to be tuned for e85 just like race fuel or whatever else you'd want to use as fuel

anyone know about changing the tune with a SCT to compensate for the added ethanol? Maybe AM or some other retailer/tuner will come out with a tune for like 93 octane fuel with like 10-15% ethanol??? I get lost when it comes to tuning...
Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

^ Thats what I was thinking man
Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by budders
can i adjust this with my sct tuner? or do i have to get a tune to take advantage of the E15
I'll have to look into it some. In theory, when using E15 fuel you would only need to add about 5-6% more fuel to maintain the proper a/f ratio from a pure petroleum based fuel tune. I dont know if American Muscle and Bama tuning actually compensate for the ethanol being added in the fuels these days, but I will personally call them tomorrow sometime and find out from them how they are dealing with the added Ethanol content in our fuels these days.

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
like teej said... your car needs to be tuned for e85 just like race fuel or whatever else you'd want to use as fuel

anyone know about changing the tune with a SCT to compensate for the added ethanol? Maybe AM or some other retailer/tuner will come out with a tune for like 93 octane fuel with like 10-15% ethanol??? I get lost when it comes to tuning...
You are able to add/subtract fuel from the tune with your handheld tuner. Looks like if your tuner is calibrated to use pure petroleum based fuels, you'll need to add a base of 5-6% of fuel, and thats before adjusting your tune for all the mods you have.

Originally Posted by everett
2 ounces of 2 stroke mixing oil per 5 gallons of fuel seems to pick my mileage up a bit when using ethanol polluted gas. A top quality ashless 2 stroke oil is required however. I read about it in a gas savers forum and tried it. Torco works best
Ethanol polluted gas? Ethanol is cleaner burning and has higher resistance to detonation than petroleum based fuel. There are guys over on SVTP that are running o/r exhaust setups with E85...and they are passing emissions tests without swapping back to catted and also are making a considerable amount more power from switching from 93 pump to E85. There is even a test done by a blower porter by the name of Brian Posi that showed that E85 gives you more power than even 110 leaded race gas at a fraction of the cost! So by adding ethanol to fuel, in the car enthusiast community, is a good thing. You might have to add 5% more fuel than you used to into the tune, but it allows your tune to be slightly more aggressive. Also, YOU DRIVE A MUSTANG! Not a honda civic. If you're concerned with gas mileage, sell your mustang to someone that is going to enjoy it and not complain when you lost 1mpg because fuel companies are adding ethanol to fuels.

Now, you realize by adding 2 stroke oil you are dropping your octane rating correct? Adding the 2 stroke oil may give you a little bit more gas mileage, but its an idiotic thing to do. If youre running this in a stock tune vehicle that is tuned to run 87 octane fuel, you are now running it on sub-87 octane fuel and doing more harm that good.

If you want to replace a motor because you ran your car as a two stroke, be my guest. Also, buying the specialty 2 stroke oil costs more money, which would probably negate the sole reason you actually are doing it...to try to get better gas mileage to save money.

Here is the link to the post where Posi goes into depth with numbers showing whats going on between running 110 race gas and E85...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...l#post10369422

Read through the whole thread for some good reading! Hanging out in the distillery on SVTP you'll learn a lot on the performance world using E85 on mustangs.

Last edited by teej281; 02-01-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: New Gas