4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

shorty headers or stock manifolds with turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

Default shorty headers or stock manifolds with turbo?

is there a big difference running shorty headers with a turbo over just running stock? i don't know if i should buy shorties or not
Old 02-10-2011, 01:22 AM
jvog
5th Gear Member

I don't know much about it, but personally I'd say the difference isn't worth the cost of buying shorties. I would stick with stock manifolds and spend the money elsewhere.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

From what i've read it depends a lot on how much power you're pushing. The more boost you run, the more likely you'll benefit from aftermarket headers.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 PM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

I had Hooker long tube ceramics before I turbo'd my car and since I went with the Hellion kit, I had to go back to a stock length exhaust manifold. I didn't have my old ones, so I bought a set of BBK tuned-length ceramic shorties. Looking back, even if I did still have the stock exhaust manifolds I wouldn't have put them back on for the turbo kit. They look like absolute crap and don't contain heat very well, the latter being very important for any turbo'd car. Spend the extra money, you'll be glad you did.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

.... im confused... turbo kits normally come with their own headers since a turbo is ran off exhaust. Hint headers have a pipe that head back up to turbo...
Old 02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

^^^^^+1 I was thinking the same thing, turbo kits come with there own headers.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:50 PM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

Yes, sometimes turbo kits come with their own headers. It all depends on each manufacturer's design. Hellion designed their kits to match as closely as possible to the existing layout of the stock components. The downpipes in their kit are designed so they match up with the stock headers' flange, so you can use the stock ones if you want. It's a pretty good idea. It makes the kit less expensive and it allows for choice if you decide to go with an after-market header, like I have.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

There is a kit on the market that just flips the stock manifolds around to face forward and runs them together to form a down-pipe IIRC. Just my initial though would be the manifolds might be better than a shorty header since the manifolds do a better job of containing the exhaust heat which should be more of a benefit that a very slight reduction in flow that is realized with a set of shortys
Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Most all turbo kits come with exhaust manifolds.
why don't u crawl back under the rock you came from...*EDITED*

do you have a turbo kit... NO. do you know anything about turbos.. NO. So why post anything. if you don't know DON"T POST. your a complete idiot. alot of turbo kits DO NOT come with headers. Hellion the biggest makers of turbos for the mustang don't include manifolds... On3 dosen't include manifolds. so where are you getting ur info that most all turbo kits come with exhaust manifolds... up ur a$$ problably.

i talked to my shop fastlane motorsports in benson, nc and they said just use the stock manifolds. your not going to see too much gain going with shorties. so i'm just going to do that and wrap the stock ones with exhaust wrap and see what happens.

Last edited by teej281; 02-11-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: running close to the edge...
Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 AM
TBKustoms

stock manifolds restrict the exhaust where headers have larger ports so more exhaust can escape especially if youre going to force air in

Quick Reply: shorty headers or stock manifolds with turbo?