4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

emission test t

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

Default emission test t

Ok so I went to go to take my emissions test today and I haven't driven the car in over a month so the engine was cold and everything so they only do the obd reader but they said they didst get any readings bc the car needs to be run for a whike before they can do the test properly does this make sense and I have the o/r h pipe with mil eliminaters so I hope it passes I bought it with no cats it had an off raid x pipe any help or past experience would be helpful thanks guys !
Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Two scenario's here. They may not use a sniffer. If they use a sniffer, you fail. If they don't and you're not throwing codes, you pass. Easy. Get your car ALL warmed up. Take it for a few runs down the highway.

DON'T shut the engine off. If you want, throw a bottle of HEET in the tank and fill'er up.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

With MILs you won't get an OBD reading at all from that pair of O2 sensors. Chances are you'll fail. Why bother putting on the O/R H pipe when you no it's illegal and you'll be checked?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I have seen them use a mirror to look and see if the cats are there. If that's the case you fail. I would start looking around for a stock setup so you can swap out.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

they don't check under the car and they don't do a sniff test, it literally took 2 min max and they just plugged it in the OBD, thats all, so if all i have to do is run the car for a little and i do have MIL eliminators so i should be good?! thanks guys
Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 PM
chrisblk10

i test emissions in ct and the car being warmed up has no bearing whatsoever on an obd2 test. if they couldnt get a reading from the computor it is because there is no power at the connector. this could be from a blown fuse (check the cig lighter fuse) or if somebody hacked into the same power source the computor uses when installing the radio. if they couldnt get a reading from the tail pipe test there is either an exhaust leak or they have a crack in their hose. hope this helps
Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

okay so would MIL eliminators do anything then, would it trick the OBD then in thinking there are CATS? just trying to see since you test emissions, otherwise ill have to look for a stock cat, that i didn't even get when i bought the darn car!!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:23 PM
chrisblk10

yea they will work unless they do a visual inspection and fail you for that. but otherwise the mil eliminators will trick the computor into thinking there are cats on the car. most people just do a quick look under just get the shell of the cat and find a way to bolt it around the pipe that could work too
Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

im going to drive the car around tomorrow (weather permitting) for about 30 min or so on the highway, i guess there is a drive cycle i have to complete since i put the MIL on and disconnected the battery since i last drove it, so ill drive it up and down the highway, go to the emissions place and see what happens, otherwise ill just have to buy a used stock h pipe on cl, hopefully not though
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by LilRoush
With MILs you won't get an OBD reading at all from that pair of O2 sensors. Chances are you'll fail. Why bother putting on the O/R H pipe when you no it's illegal and you'll be checked?
This is not the case, the MIL eliminators filter the signal from the rear sensors to trick the PCM into believing that the catalytic converters are present and working properly--more about that here, see the oscilloscope traces at the bottom.

==========================================
For the OP, you should make sure the engine is at full operating temperature before getting "smogged". Best yet make 20 mile trip at highway speeds, including a few WOT pulls (stop in the breakdown lane and "nail it" on the way back into traffic--the COPs won't mess with you even if they see you doing it).

Also make sure DTC P1000 (OBD2 Readiness check incomplete) is not set, you need to complete a number of specific drive cycles to reset this code. If the rear sensors are disabled in the tune DTC P1000 will never go away, in states where they check for that code right off the bat you will fail...

Quick Reply: emission test t