4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

The thread about my wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:32 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Default The thread about my wheels.

So i've been looking into new wheels... however the more i look at mine, i don't hate them.... i actually kind of like them, its just the curb rash and weights on the outside i hate so much lol.

see pic.

pretty much all are curb rashed and all have the weights on the outside.

Well, my buddy who has mach has been working at a wheel place, and he said he can cut down the lips and get rid of the rash, as well as rebalance them with the weights on the inside. All this for $25 a wheel, dismounted, cut, balanced and remounted.

Why stop there? From there since my wheels have no clearcoat on them, i think im going to polish them really well then spray nightshade and then clear over it. My buddy did it with some emblems and it turned out REALLY good... looks damn close to black chrome... Hopefully it'll yeild the same result with my wheels, i am using legit clear and a paintbooth so hopefully this will work well.

Anyone do this before?

current full pic.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Oh, i will try to have these done by carslile but no promises thats right around the corner.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:38 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Go for it! Get the rears widened by weldcraft too!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I actually like those wheels on your car and I'm normally not a fan of that wheel at all lol.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:24 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I hope you punched the tire guy in the face that put the wheel weight on the outside of the rim. You will probably have a bad spot where that weight was also that needs to be repaired.
And the Night shade idea sounds great. I thought about using that stuff on the running pony in the grill but I wasn't sure if it would stick
Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

seriously. why the **** did they put the weight on the outside. what a ****ing idiot
Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I've always had a huge chubby for 18" 03 cobra wheels on SN-95 mustangs... but the car has to be riding low.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:30 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Go for it! Get the rears widened by weldcraft too!
i had considered it, whats the widest wheel i can fit a 275 tire on? Those tires are pretty new i would like to keep them and maybe go a 305 later.

Originally Posted by BraMas
I hope you punched the tire guy in the face that put the wheel weight on the outside of the rim. You will probably have a bad spot where that weight was also that needs to be repaired.
And the Night shade idea sounds great. I thought about using that stuff on the running pony in the grill but I wasn't sure if it would stick
Damn i didn't even think about the weight messing up the wheel, my friend told me his shop ( i think its transwheel but im not actually sure lol) won't ever do that because it voids the warranty on the wheel so everything they do goes inside, not to mention kills the look of the wheel, however they were like that when the car was purchased nothing i could do.

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I've always had a huge chubby for 18" 03 cobra wheels on SN-95 mustangs... but the car has to be riding low.
Well first, those are 17 inch Premium GT wheels , much like the 01 cobra wheels but with different center caps, though i may pick up some SVT caps while doing this whole deal as well. Second, its funny you said that, my friend who is cutting my wheels is giving me his stock springs as we are putting on some lowering springs on his car, i'm gonna cut his for a temp drop lol till i stop being cheap and buy coil overs.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
i had considered it, whats the widest wheel i can fit a 275 tire on? Those tires are pretty new i would like to keep them and maybe go a 305 later.

Damn i didn't even think about the weight messing up the wheel, my friend told me his shop ( i think its transwheel but im not actually sure lol) won't ever do that because it voids the warranty on the wheel so everything they do goes inside, not to mention kills the look of the wheel, however they were like that when the car was purchased nothing i could do.

Well first, those are 17 inch Premium GT wheels , much like the 01 cobra wheels but with different center caps, though i may pick up some SVT caps while doing this whole deal as well. Second, its funny you said that, my friend who is cutting my wheels is giving me his stock springs as we are putting on some lowering springs on his car, i'm gonna cut his for a temp drop lol till i stop being cheap and buy coil overs.
No no... I know your wheels aren't 03 Cobras... I'm telling you I love machined finished 03 cobra wheels on Sn-95 cars.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 AM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

I have the same wheels in similar Condition. I'm not fond of them, mainly because of how narrow they are. But I'm very interested in seeing how your wheels turn out in the end. May be something I end up trying. I want darker/black wheels. Sounds like a pretty good idea.

Quick Reply: The thread about my wheels.