4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Help with getting Brake Lines Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:03 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Post Help with getting Brake Lines Please

So I'm looking for a pair of stainless steel brake line for the rear brakes. Here's the catch, my 04 GT is not equiped with ABS. I've tried the J&M w/ ABS that Americanmuscle sells (not knowing that my stang didn't have ABS & there lines are a no go
)
Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 08:22 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

What is different about with vs. without ABS brake lines?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:10 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by BraMas
What is different about with vs. without ABS brake lines?
The line connections are different. For the left rear (nada) but for the right rear the end connection link arent the same. Im dumbfounded along with a couple other Mustang fellas I've shown it too. My trusted mustang ethusiast car mech said no way that those ABS lines are going to work for a non abs car unless I custom fitted them which would cost more then those line are worth. I've done some checking and they did (FORD) make non ABS GT's in 04 expect very very people actually have 1.

Im just looking for a store that carries stainless steel ones please
Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

When you say custom fit, you are talking like cutting the line putting a new screw on the end, reflare it and then put it on?

And lucky you for having one.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:13 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by JRad405
When you say custom fit, you are talking like cutting the line putting a new screw on the end, reflare it and then put it on?

And lucky you for having one.
Bingo.... ^ and yeah i didn't know i had a non-ABS mustang until this point. LOL have the car 5 years. Which looking back now explains alot why i thought it acted funny somethimes. And yeah, its sorta cool to own one no doubt

Wish i could find these darn brake lines though.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

I mean depending on how much slack you have with an abs line, you could just do what I said in my earlier post (cutting the line, put a new fitting, double flare the line and then attach the new line).

It isn't a tough job, but you would want a friend there possibly just to fill the brake fluid while you are trying to double flare the lines, so it doesn't empty out. Its certainly not hard just take your time. And I would suggest buying the kit on Summit Racing. It is worth the few extra dollars because the Advance Auto one, is terrible.

And do it on a Saturday so you can go to NAPA if you have problems with the right size fitting. And my rear brakes work fine and its been a whole year.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
So I'm looking for a pair of stainless steel brake line for the rear brakes. Here's the catch, my 04 GT is not equiped with ABS. I've tried the J&M w/ ABS that Americanmuscle sells (not knowing that my stang didn't have ABS & there lines are a no go
)
Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You can try this co. called Inlinetube.com

I ordered SS lines for my 86 Z28 when I had it.
They come prebent for easy install.
They may have what youre looking for
Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 PM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

i had the same problem. i ordered the same ss linnes from AM and to my suprise the connection on the passengers side was different. AM tried to tell me i didnt have abs in the rear, which i told them was BS cause i have speed sensors in the back. any who i called j&M and they claim the have the rear ss lines we need. i have not oredered them yet but am interested to see the follow ups on this post.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by harbre32
i had the same problem. i ordered the same ss linnes from AM and to my suprise the connection on the passengers side was different. AM tried to tell me i didnt have abs in the rear, which i told them was BS cause i have speed sensors in the back. any who i called j&M and they claim the have the rear ss lines we need. i have not oredered them yet but am interested to see the follow ups on this post.
I knew I couldn't be alone out there with a non-abs mustang. I just found (I think) J&M's number and I will be calling them directly and hopefully finding a solution to this minor issue yet this week.

Because I've tried a couple forums and nothing. Suprisingly no one even said to call J&M direct. I found their number online late saturday while surfing the web for a solution.

Thanks Repzard, I'll look into it.

Jrad, i see were your going and I appreciate the advice. Yet, I'd feel more peace at mind not going that route (although it could work) with brake lines being so vital i don't wanna risk it. Rather pay more for a right set.

Last edited by sonicx; 05-30-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:25 PM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

yea they will have what your looking for. when you get them let me know if its what we need, if so im ordering them as well

Quick Reply: Help with getting Brake Lines Please