4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

DDM HID help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Default DDM HID help

Okay so I got my 35w 6000k 880 HID's for the foglights. It looked pretty straight forward..plug ballast in plug bulb into ballast etc. Well I get them in and the passenger side looks really good. Well the driver side one is very dim and sometimes even flickers out.

Am I missing something here? What do I need to do?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

could be a bad ballast. make sure all of your connections are secure.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 PM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Check your connections and make sure the bulbs have a good solid ground, if it's still effing up then the bulbs and swap them and if the problem persist on the same side you have a bad ballast if it flickers and dim on the other side then it's the bulb. I have them on the headlights but I don't think I'll run them on the fogs cause unless you extend the harness then the ballast has to sit somewhere under the car and I'm sure if the ballast is waterproof and I don't care to be the guinea pig on that one.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fidelcastrol
Check your connections and make sure the bulbs have a good solid ground, if it's still effing up then the bulbs and swap them and if the problem persist on the same side you have a bad ballast if it flickers and dim on the other side then it's the bulb. I have them on the headlights but I don't think I'll run them on the fogs cause unless you extend the harness then the ballast has to sit somewhere under the car and I'm sure if the ballast is waterproof and I don't care to be the guinea pig on that one.
I run ddm HID's in my fogs and was able to zip tie em to my front bumper support... Outta the rain and hidden... Idk. Jus sayinnnn

ANd +1 to switching the bulbs and seeing what happens.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Woot for lifetime guarantee!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:15 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Alright guys thanks..and I'm gonna switch ballasts this weekend and see what happens. I already had to send one back before for no power to the bulb whatsoever. But at least its lifetime warranty.

To secure them I got some commercial strength doublesided tape and then I'm going to zip tie them somehow to a bumper support like hpwrestler mentioned. And as a final measure I'm going to wrap all the connections in electrical tape to try to keep the rain/moisture out.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Default Sorry OP

My headlights weren't working at all. It appeared both bulbs had blown (at the same time?), but didn't look like a typical blown light bulb (now completely black). HIDs aren't the same as regular bulbs though, so I ordered new bulbs . Hooked them up, they worked great at first . Took the car for a test drive, got flashed by almost everyone . I got home and the bulbs would flicker on and off, sometimes one side would be on, the other off. Everything is wired up good, grounds are good. Triple checked them . You guys think I've got two bad ballast?

/thread hijack, sorry OP, didn't feel like making another thread for nearly the same topic
Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 AM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
My headlights weren't working at all. It appeared both bulbs had blown (at the same time?), but didn't look like a typical blown light bulb (now completely black). HIDs aren't the same as regular bulbs though, so I ordered new bulbs . Hooked them up, they worked great at first . Took the car for a test drive, got flashed by almost everyone . I got home and the bulbs would flicker on and off, sometimes one side would be on, the other off. Everything is wired up good, grounds are good. Triple checked them . You guys think I've got two bad ballast?

/thread hijack, sorry OP, didn't feel like making another thread for nearly the same topic
Sounds like bad ballast on both sides, it's rare but anything can and will happen when it's Made in China. I'm not knocking it cause well everything is Made in China. To the op switch the bulbs not the ballast then follow my steps in previous post.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Ugh, I hate China. Thanks fidel.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:47 PM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
Ugh, I hate China. Thanks fidel.
But DDM has lifetime warranty

Quick Reply: DDM HID help