4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Just finished my dyno tune (first take)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 AM
madmike90
1st Gear Member

Default Just finished my dyno tune (first take)

So i brought my 03 GT to EFI logics to be tuned on monday.

I installed a P1SC with the 3.4" pulley:

42# injectors
TR-6 plugs
aviator fuel pump
90mm lightning maf
diablosport mafia
3" front mount intercooler and 3" piping

now for the results...

i installed the kit all by my lonesome at home in the driveway. the whole process took me a total of about 5 hours. i bought a new tensioner because as i was loading the stock one to get the belt on the procharger (a bitch by the way) i shattered the tensioner where the socket drive goes in. not a bad thing though because a fresh tensioner cant hurt.

i checked, double checked, and triple checked the belt alignment so i would have absolutely no problems.

started her up and heard no strange noises, checked for leaks and everything was perfect, only thing was the car wouldnt idle, which i figured since it didnt have a tune on it obviously.

so i shut her off and trailered her to the dyno.

fast forward

the car is strapped down and chris at EFI (great guy btw) started doing his thing. he flashed a base map to it to get things started and did one pull which sounded great from outside. its weird hearing your car do a pull without being in it.

so he finishes the pull and motions for me to come in, i figured so he could show me the graph for the first pull...

nope

he said "we have three problems, big ones"

my heart sunk and i started having the worst thoughts run through my head.

he said, first problem is, "no matter what i do i cant get the car to idle, it should at least idle on this map with these tweaks"

second problem, the bovs are letting way to much air out. my kit came with 2 blow off valves installed on the pipe, one a recirculating setup and the other vent to atmosphere. he recommended i ditch one and keep the other.

and third problem, he showed me the fuel graph and informed me that i completely pegged my fuel pump at 4,000rpm

so dyno day was put on a screeching halt

he showed me the graph that he did get while doing the pull and from the start of the pull to 4000rpm is ramped up like a motherf*cker, making 380whp at 4,000rpm and going wacky after that.

for the meantime he gave me a safe map to daily drive around on, just have to keep it under 40-50% throttle at all times.

so that was monday, fast forward to today.

i was so disappointed and wanted to get my baby up and running.

i fixed the idle issue by cleaning the IAC valve and raising the idle a smidge. it now idles smoothly at 750 or so. it surges when cold but smoothens out as it warms up.

i fixed the bov issue by putting a big spring in the bypass valve and capping the vacuum nipple and just leaving the other bov to vent to atmosphere.

as far as the fuel pump issue, i guess the aviator pump just isnt enough, so im picking up a boost-a-pump from a friend of mine and that will hopefully be enough to cut it.

then its back to the dyno next thursday, for a hopefully more exciting second attempt.

btw, he said the car made a peak of 12psi on its pull. thats just on the safe edge with a big intercooler correct?

thanks guys and ill keep you posted,

mike
Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

What other mods do you have, will a long tube setup and some bolt ons on 12psi I would imagine you would put down 430ish.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:10 AM
madmike90
1st Gear Member

only other mod is magnaflow catback, stock exhaust manifolds.

whats your guess on what i might make as it sits?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:10 AM
madmike90
1st Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHPmKbixEtE

heres the only video i could get to work.

i have another of the car strapped to the dyno but i cant seem to pull it off facebook :/
Old 06-08-2011, 05:13 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I can see 12 psi putting u somewhere around 420-430
Old 06-08-2011, 05:14 AM
madmike90
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I can see 12 psi putting u somewhere around 420-430
and probably pretty close to popping too lol

unless 12psi is still in the safe range
Old 06-08-2011, 05:16 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by madmike90
and probably pretty close to popping too lol

unless 12psi is still in the safe range
Its not really the psi that kills the motor or what makes it safe, the TUNE makes it safe and as long as you don't take the stock block over 450 you should be ok with a good tune.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:21 AM
madmike90
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Its not really the psi that kills the motor or what makes it safe, the TUNE makes it safe and as long as you don't take the stock block over 450 you should be ok with a good tune.
sweet sounds like this could be a fun summer.

oh and before i go back to the dyno i want to make sure i have the bov setup configured correctly.

at part throttle like in my video, is it normal for the valve to completely open like that? the rushing air is the charger "spooling up" and diverting through the valve, i just want to make sure thats normal when im just lightly pressing the throttle (20% or so), if i push the throttle from 35-50% the valve seems to shut and its dead silent.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The purpose of the bypass valve is so you dont backflow the head unit and cause damamge pretty much, at WOT the valve is closed, so i think your ok.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Awesome! Glad to see that you finally got her up and running! The boost is right for that pulley, the 3.4 should make between 10-12#s. Different factors like the temperature, humidity and barometer will have an affect on how much boost you're actually building so there's times you'll be at 12#s and other times you'll be at more or less than that. Uber is absolutely correct 12#s should make between 420-430rwhp and 380-390ish rwtq. Also as he said it shoukd be more than safe as long as the tuner knows what he is doing. I can try to help you find a bap or fuel pump like I was again if you'd like as well. Gonna be fun once you get her tuned, enjoy!

Quick Reply: Just finished my dyno tune (first take)