4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

ABS light - module or sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 06:41 AM
rocket22
1st Gear Member

Default ABS light - module or sensors

I just got the check engine light fixed and after pushing my 1997 cobra into garage the ABS light is now on. I had a battery failure recently and replaced the battery.

Is there a good video for mustang/cobra ABS troubleshooting? I just bought a replacement ABS module on EBay for $70 in case it is needed. I am not planning on spending 800+ for new.

Thanks all
Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Firstly,you need a scan code reader.If the tool indicates that it "can't connect" to the ABS section,,etc,that's usually a bad module.There are other indicators as well.
Rather than buying used or new,I had my faulty module repaired by an ebay fellow who does professional work @$99. The modules are known to suffer a solder crack internally.Once correctly mended,you'll never have the trouble again.

Last edited by Camster; 04-16-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Like Camster said, it is a known issue for the solder joint to go bad. I also had mine repaired by the same guy on E-bay. Two years later and no issues.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

As mentioned above, you really need to use a scan tool capable of reading chassis related dtc's. Most scan tools only read powertrain ("Pxxxx") codes.

Your only other option is to start throwing parts at it, which could get expensive and/or frustrating.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:30 PM
rocket22
1st Gear Member

Default will he diagnose the fault?

I will try some troubleshooting. My reader is not pulling any code. Would Autozone or any other readers pull this code?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

We don't know what scanner you're using.You need something with ABS capability as stated already.
I purchased an Innova 3100 to test mine.About $100 if memory serves.
One indicator of a bad module however, is that it can't read a code-it won't give a code number-the scanner will say "can't communicate" or something to that effect.
The issue is something that you have to confirm before you start throwing parts and labor at it.You can waste $125 plus your labor,with changing sensors on each brake.Even if you have a bad brake sensor,a scan tool won't know that if there's a faulty module in the system before it.
Is you light on all of the time,intermittent, or does it come on after a few miles of driving?
Something doesn't sound right to me,when it sounds like the trouble started after installing a new battery and pushing the car into the garage.For most of us,I believe,we were just driving alone,and the light came on.

From the ad of the ebay repairman,Bosch0004:The symptoms of a failed module on a Ford Mustang
- ABS warning light lit on dash
- TCS off warning light lit on dash
- Inability to communicate with the ABS module through diagnostic software
- Intermittent problem that becomes worse over time or only happens at certain temperatures
- Loss of ABS functionality (wheels lock up when braking on ice or loose gravel)

Last edited by Camster; 04-18-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 AM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Wow, glad I searched and came across this thread! My ABS light came on a few days ago, but would go out after shutting the car off for a while. Only to come back on when driving again. And yesterday came on, and now won't go off. My symptoms are pretty much identical to what's stated.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:27 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

If you buy a L shaped (Allen type) Torx wrench (I don't recall the size at the moment ) you can drop the module out of the mount without disturbing the brake lines.Not a very common tool,but I found mine on ebay for just a few bucks.The wrench comes in two lengths.I bought the long one,but ended up cutting it down.
Just sold my car and recouped about half on the scan tool cost by making it the best deal on ebay,making it worthwhile to me to have for just the ABS purpose.

Last edited by Camster; 05-11-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:41 AM
sungod47

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
Like Camster said, it is a known issue for the solder joint to go bad. I also had mine repaired by the same guy on E-bay. Two years later and no issues.
Do you know if the eBay guy is still in business? I can't find his ad. Thanks.