4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

99 Mach 460 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:37 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Default 99 Mach 460 ?'s

So I know that in 01 they changed the headunit configuration for the mach audio. Has anyone put an aftermarket head unit in a 99 W/ the mach? What install/dash kit did you use? because they are the split headunit and CD set up, and I dont see a dash kit that is specifically for it.. Did you guys just leave the CD part down there? or...???
Old 06-26-2011, 01:00 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
So I know that in 01 they changed the headunit configuration for the mach audio. Has anyone put an aftermarket head unit in a 99 W/ the mach? What install/dash kit did you use? because they are the split headunit and CD set up, and I dont see a dash kit that is specifically for it.. Did you guys just leave the CD part down there? or...???
I mean i have a 96, im sure its a little different, i just went to bestbuy and asked for a kit... i don't think i ever used it lol, my headunit swapped directly into where the control for the radio and everything (upper slot is). You're probably gonna laugh at what i did with the bottom hole (where the CD player is) In time i figured on putting guages in once i had a car that required aftermarket gauges.... So i cut a piece of wood, and glued it to the back of the plastic piece that surrounds my a/c *****/cdplayer. I painted it ofc.. kinda hard to see but pic.

do the 99s have a traction control button and such? idk when that started.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Mine looks alot like that. Yes, I have a trac control button and a cig lighter.. but its under the "gauge slot" shall we reference it as. I like that idea, itd look much better with the gauges down there than up on the A piller, IMO. I'm going to be installing my transgo HD2 W/ oil cooler, and would kind of like a trans temp to keep an eye on... Arizona can be pretty brutal. So maybe Ill copy the idea.. how flush does the wood fit with the backside of the bezel right there? or is there some gaps?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:45 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

My car came with an aftermarket pioneer head unit. It is right above the factory cd player, which is still there.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
Mine looks alot like that. Yes, I have a trac control button and a cig lighter.. but its under the "gauge slot" shall we reference it as. I like that idea, itd look much better with the gauges down there than up on the A piller, IMO. I'm going to be installing my transgo HD2 W/ oil cooler, and would kind of like a trans temp to keep an eye on... Arizona can be pretty brutal. So maybe Ill copy the idea.. how flush does the wood fit with the backside of the bezel right there? or is there some gaps?
It is air tight,i just slightly oversized the wood and glued it to the back of the bezel so there when the time comes to poke it out the only glue you will see will be on the back of the bezel and not visible. The only thing is i touched it with my fingernail before it was 100% dry -_-, i can take up close pics for you tomorrow if you like.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

I have a 98 with a pioneer head unit and i got both the fm/am tuner and cd player taken out. I got the head unit put in where the fm/am tuner was and the cd player i got a tray that slides right in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAR-S...ht_2880wt_1165

This is the pocket that i have that fits a 99 also
Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

When you guys had yours all apart, is there any way I could put my new HU in where the CD player part is? I like the way its tucked in there, mostly so it casts a shadow over the screen, and I'll be able to read the thing during the day... they look to be the same size from my eye ballin, but I havent torn it apart to see whats behind it all. Could this work? than gauges or dash cubby up top?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

i dont think its enough clearance in the back, but i really havent checked cause ive never thought about that. haha good idea man. but if you have a manual it sucks because i have the pocket like i said before and i have my controls for my subs in there and i cant ever get my hand down in there. it would just be a hassle IMO. but good idea.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

down shift, hammer the throttle and turn up the tunes man but on a serious note, I'm an auto, so while driving, the way the shifter sits, and the placement on the bottom is also much more comfortable for my hands vs. having it up top.. and the shifter is always back( as if you were in 4th) whenever I'd be messin with it, and my bass **** is going to be where my cig lighter in the console is. I do some custom audio stuff, as far as boxes, amp racks, and wiring.. I like to keep the head unit installation stock as can be for comfort, and the fact that it just fits better. I just didnt see any write ups for these dashes.. I'd really prefer the cubby up top.... hmmm...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

i don't think the harness is long enough to re direct to the bottom.

because racecar.

Quick Reply: 99 Mach 460 ?'s