4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

BBK CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Nelric

Default BBK CAI

So I installed a BBK CAI a couple of weeks ago after my car had been sitting on my dad's lot for about 6 months. Today the check engine light came on. I checked my connections as well as the gas cap but it won't go away. The car is running fine with the exception of some slightly hard shifting problems. People are also telling me that I might need a tune just in case my car is running lean because of the CAI.

Your thoughts? And how much is it going to be to get it tuned (if that indeed is the problem)?

Thanks!!
-NeL
Old 06-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

CAI are useless really on Mustangs.
The one that comes stock is pretty much a CAI.
You really shouldnt need a tune just for a CAI.

I would remove the POS cable on Battery for about 10 mins so the computer will relearn the change,Also may want to put the stock CAI back on if it doesnt fix issue then again remove POS cable if so.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:57 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Since you just bought the cai, I would remove it and return it. All it's good for is weight reduction in the area of your wallet. The cai shouldn't cause your check engine light to come on...
Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^agreed....
Old 07-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

first thing first before blaiming any part is to go to Autozone or some other local parts store and check what the code actually is for...

it could be a CEL for something completely un-related.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:46 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

^ agreed, deffinitely check and make sure its not a code for something else
Old 07-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Nelric

Thanks guys.

The garage says I'm running rich and suggested I get a new mass airflow sensor which is news to me cause everybody else I talked to says it usually just needs a tune. Oh well, I'll get a second opinion.

Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

POintless thread since he didnt listen 2 wat a single person said. Idiot
Old 07-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Take the muddafukka to your local parts store. Give them your ID. They give you OBDII reader. Read your shiz. Google code. Fix prollem.

Secondly, when people do you the honor of taking time to read your posts and gracefully respond with very helpful shinfo...you should do US the honor of listening to us. Because we been there...we done that. We bought that and we broke that.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Nelric

Originally Posted by Moonshine
Take the muddafukka to your local parts store. Give them your ID. They give you OBDII reader. Read your shiz. Google code. Fix prollem.

Secondly, when people do you the honor of taking time to read your posts and gracefully respond with very helpful shinfo...you should do US the honor of listening to us. Because we been there...we done that. We bought that and we broke that.
Originally Posted by Blk003GT
POintless thread since he didnt listen 2 wat a single person said. Idiot

I read the posts and was very appreciative of the advice which I did follow.
But since I cannot put on the stock one on account my stock decided to take a dump I'm kind of stuck with the CAI.

I've unplugged the POS cable from the battery (as Repzard suggested) but the problem still remains. Took it to the garage to get the code read (as most of the others advised) and they told me I was running rich which they then suggested I should get another mass airflow sensor in order to fix the problem.

As you can see, I've tried what these guys suggested. I just didn't post what my results were (believe me, I'll do that now). And if this is a matter of my saying I'll get a second opinion, that was in regards to what the garage had told me.

I do appreciate the advice because I know you've all been there, done that that's why I come here.

So excuse me if my post had upset you two; it wasn't intentional.

Quick Reply: BBK CAI